A year ago I was suckered in buy a crap Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year ago I was suckered in buy a crap Fender

Hey everyone a year ago I was suckered into buying a crap Fender but its not so bad, I'm still in the middle of restoring it. I for some reason of an another wanted a vintage amp. and saw a 1981 Fender Super Reverb. Keep in mind at this time of my life I knew nothing of vintage Amps and purchased this amp. I then took it to my buddy to test it and start the restore process. Come to find out It was the worst super reverb made, it was a non desire-able circuitry, it was the 70 watt with the pull switch master volume. It was re-capped and cleaned up. The amp tech I sent it to said he had a pair of used tubes that tested as new. and though its a "non-desireable" Fender amp. The clean channel is just amazing. Crystal Clear tone! Whats the deal, My buddy who is an amp tech even offered to black face it, but because its the wrong schematics for blackfacing he told me he would have to gut it and rebuild up from scratch. He also gave me a good deal on the price, but I still dont know if I want to get that done.
    I dont play it as often as I want because the tubes are used and I never got around to buying new tubes. I do play it every now and then to record with and the clean just sparkles. So whats the deal?

Get some new power tubes and start playing

Comment

That's a UL model, very clean and loud. I had one at a time I needed loud and clean and it worked great. Not worth blackfacing IMO. Enjoy it for what it is.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

I agree with JoeM. Some additional thoughts to ponder.

The term "Blackfacing" is not an absolute defined set of tasks that applies to every SF Fender amp model. In the case of the 70 Watt Ultra Linear, Master Volume Pull boost amps there are extra steps required to get it to sound close to an original BF amp. It's usually not economical to do unless you are capable of doing all the work yourself and "donating" the labor hours or you find just the right tech. Even then it will take some serious cash.

Since there are still people who like the big clean sound of the 70 W UL amps you may want to consider selling it to one of those folks and then starting with another platform.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

And by your description you look very pleased with it.
          Fine, I would too
          Forget "non-desirability" and other misguided Forum cr*p, you got a killer amp, the best Fender could do in that line and the culmination of a decades long search for loud and clean.
          To see that it was not "CBS MBA madness" but a goal of Leo Fender himself, watch this evolution of earlier Fender Tweeds ... under Leo's direction, of course !!!

Just extrapolate that evolution for another 20 years , and you'll reach exactly what you have.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, with Carl Verheyen playing how could it sound bad?
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
            X