Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavy TKO 80

Hello,

Could use some guidance in restoring a Peavy bass amp. I could be wrong but believe there are two versions of the TKO 80, and this is the older one, from late 70's.?

When turned on, the amp makes a hum, volume control makes no difference, and does not amplify a source.

My son and I changed out the filter caps, but no apparent change. We did not try connecting the speaker but could observe the semi-saw tooth output on the oscilloscope. Looks like strong ripple to me. It's about 1.5V, see photo. We had to take the picture quickly because we noticed a 0.33 ohm 5 watt resistor started smoking, circled in photo.
    The frequency is 100Hz, see photo. (I live in Europe). Both the V and Hz were taken on the output where a 8ohm 25W resistor replaces the speaker.

Could someone point us to a schema and layout diagrams?

We have some experience but obviously are too novice to know next steps. Appreciate your help.

Paul
    Attached Files

Originally posted by pbiagi View Post
    Hello,

Could use some guidance in restoring a Peavy bass amp. I could be wrong but believe there are two versions of the TKO 80, and this is the older one, from late 70's.?

When turned on, the amp makes a hum, volume control makes no difference, and does not amplify a source.

My son and I changed out the filter caps, but no apparent change. We did not try connecting the speaker but could observe the semi-saw tooth output on the oscilloscope. Looks like strong ripple to me. It's about 1.5V, see photo. We had to take the picture quickly because we noticed a 0.33 ohm 5 watt resistor started smoking, circled in photo.
    The frequency is 100Hz, see photo. (I live in Europe). Both the V and Hz were taken on the output where a 8ohm 25W resistor replaces the speaker.

Could someone point us to a schema and layout diagrams?

We have some experience but obviously are too novice to know next steps. Appreciate your help.

Paul
    "a 0.33 ohm 5 watt resistor started smoking, "
    I think that means you have at least 1 shorted output transistor.
    I will just pull them all and test them all.

Comment

Peavey TKO 80 Schematics

It would be best if you did Not hook up a load to the output, until the amp is stable.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Jazz Bass.
        It is the '78 design - what you sent is perfect. (Seems Peavey has a '78 and a '90's model).

Stupid question - by Not hooking up a load, you mean a speaker?
        I haven't checked but assume the existing speaker is shot. I don't remember the amount, but measured high DC on the output.
        Or do you mean not hook up a dummy resistor load (8ohm 25W)?

My limited expertise is with tube amps, and have always connected a load to the output transformer in that world.

Comment

No load.
          Not a Speaker or a resistor.
          You are giving the Vdc a path to ground.

I would pull the output transistors.
          One or more are shorted.
          And check all of the .33 ohm resistors for opens.

Comment

Yes^^^^

I said no LOAD because I didn;t want to narrow it down to speaker OR resistor. I don;t want you to connect ANYTHING to the output until we are certain it no longer makes DC on the output and that it is stable.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
              I ordered a couple MJ15015, which I believe is the replacement transistor. I got the NPN version.
              Question - do I need one NPN and one PNP? (If so, I'll need to order PNP too..)

Comment

Look at your schematic, this is a quasi-complementary amp, all the outputs are NPN.

Aha, side note: I could not find a TKO80 in my drawing inventory, other than the newer one. I looked up the owner manual and sure enough it has an 80 under the TKO on the panel. As far as any records I have, this model was called simply TKO. Which I do have in my files. it is moot at this point, but I was getting confused.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

To close -
                  Changing out the output transistors worked.
                  Resistors tested fine, and we checked a sine wave before hooking up a speaker.
                  Sounds great and thanks for the guidance Enzo and Jazz Bass.
                  Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X