No announcement yet.

Best method to clean twin reverb grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method to clean twin reverb grill?

I have a twin reverb cab with a grill that is excellent except for it's dingy and dirty and that looks like crap. Is there a safe way to clean it? TIA!

Short answer: Nope.

Comment

Pictures?

Personally I'd put new grill there and call it a day.

Neither expensive nor difficult.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I got a suggestion from an amp collector many years ago & recently tried it. It did work but didn't restore to "just like new" although it was much better. Removed the baffle with grill attached, remove speakers. Worked up some good suds with shampoo & warm water (you can use dish detergent too) and lightly scrubbed the grill. Let it sit a few minutes to let the soap work, then start "rinsing" with a brush barely wet, plain water. The idea is to NOT get everything soaking wet, just get the crud off the front surface. In my case it was a '62 Super with wheat grill, and looked like some cat had backed up to it & sprayed it many years ago. After a lather, rinse and repeat, scrub dry with an old towel, the cat spuzz stain was gone. Hope this works for you.

Regrilling, what a PIA. All those staples! And unless you're very very careful doesn't come out looking factory-square.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Also, it depends on the model amp.
          Some had that sparkle thread through the weave.

If you do try the 'soap suds' routine, try it from the back of the cloth so as not to mess with the weave threads.

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am going to clean it one way or another. I'll take pictures to document the process however it comes out good or bad. If I end up having to replace it, the amp is already non original as it's a silver face bandmaster reverb in a twin reverb cabinet. The tolex is beat, along with some structural repairs needed, and I'm thinking of replacing the black tolex with tweed anyway.

Comment

A foam type auto upholstery or carpet cleaner should do the trick, spray on, vacuum off.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It really depends on what it is stained with. I've seen restores remove the grill cloth completely, soak it in a tub with detergent, rinse, and remount. A lot of trouble, but if it has years of club beer and smoke on it ... Well to me its character. If it is sun rotted, good luck.

Comment

A thorough deep clean is possible, but time consuming. Scrubbing the surface can break threads or create a fuzz on the fabric and if you get it too wet, the deeper dirt keeps coming to the surface and can leave it looking patchy.

I use a number of approaches, depending on the amp. The easiest method I've found to get a clean looking surface is to wrap a nail brush with an absorbent cloth - not too thick - a microfibre cleaning cloth is fine. I use this with an upholstery cleaner of the dilutable concentrate type. Dip the cloth, squeeze it out so it's not too wet and wrap it over the bush so there's a single layer between the bristles and the grille. Then slightly press it against the fabric and move it in gentle circles. Not scrubbing, just letting the bristles push the cloth into good contact to lift the dirt.

Keep turning the cleaning cloth and periodically rinse it out in clean warm water and re-dipping in the cleaning solution. Work about 6" square then use the same brush with kitchen paper to absorb any damp from the grille.

The method works best if you can support the grille from behind - an old towel over a piece of board works well but that only works with amps where you can remove the grille frame complete.

Comment

Working...
                  X