No announcement yet.

Airline GIM-9131A knowledge/repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess my knowledge base of electronics continues to drop, going to negative real soon. Seems like a subject I just can't grasp.

Anyway, measuring AC voltage with one probe to one of the wires and the other probe to the other wire, I have zero volts. One of the wires comes from the power switch and the other is sourced from the panel light switch. Did I smoke the panel light switch?

Comment

• Well, the good news is it should be a fairly simple issue. Your AC power is not getting to the transformer. It needs to go through the AC plug & cord, the power switch, and the circuit breaker, so somewhere along the line it's not getting through.
      With unit unplugged, you can measure resistance directly from the blades on the AC plug to the wires going into the transformer.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• Got it. The reset switch is bad. Stuck open. I put a 7amp glass fuse in place of the switch and the amp started right up. I tried putting a fuse in place of the switch yesterday but it was just my luck that one of the jumper wires I picked out of the stuff I have was bad. Turns out the new puppy has been getting into my little work area and walking away with various things. He seems to have a craving for wires. I found the wire was chewed...

Anything serviceable in that switch??? I am thinking I might be able to get it open to check things out for the heck of it.

The markings on the switch are:
        Mel Rain Corp
        312-4R1-HOLD 1.95A

Comment

• Even though the switch is marked 1.95A, on the schematic under the switch it says 3 and has a funky symbol. I wonder if that is meant to mean 3amps? I can find 3 amp switches all day but nothing 1.95amp.

Comment

• Hold 1.95A means it is a circuit breaker, not a switch per se. If you look for "switches" you won't find your item. Look for "circuit breakers".

The schematic clearly shows a power switch in the upper mains wire, and in the lower wire is CB1 - a circuit breaker. It is a 3A breaker. That means it should trip at 3A, while your 1.95A hold means it will run at close to 2A all day long. Is that the original?

Little silvery rectangle box with a red button on top? Possible mounted with a threaded nut? or mounted by two metal tabs sticking through holes then bent over?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• The switch that is on there looks like a momentary switch normally closed. I opened up the switch and it is pretty basic. There is nothing in there that hints of a circuit breaker. I think I need to pick up something like this:

B7000 Series Push Button Thermal Circuit Breaker 3 Amp B7003 New | eBay

Comment

• Maybe you have some different type of circuit breaker you are thinking of? A "momentary switch normally closed" is a decent description of the type of circuit breaker I think you have in that amp. Also often referred to as a "reset button".
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• Well, I think of a circuit breaker as what I have in my home electrical panel. You draw too much current and it pops the breaker. In the case of the amp, the button would pop out and you would have to push it back in to reset the breaker.

The one that was in there is definitely a momentary switch.

If a momentary switch is what would normally be found in these things, then that is what I will replace it with.

G1, I get the Ace of Spades and Don't forget the joker avatar, but I can't quite figure out "Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks.".

Comment

• and now that I think about it a little more. What is the point of the momentary switch when the on/off button is right next to it.

Comment

• There is no point in having a momentary switch after the power switch. IT IS NOT A SWITCH! It's a 3A circuit breaker.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Circuit breaker makes more sense. So, this is about what I would be looking for?

B7000 Series Push Button Thermal Circuit Breaker 3 Amp B7003 New | eBay

Comment

• When the breaker is blown the button pops out further, turning the unit OFF. You push the button in to reset it. Just like the panel in your house, when it trips, you push it back to the on position. The house one and the amp one are just shaped different.

When the thing is NOT blown and is ready to rock, the button has a little spring to it, and you can push it in. Many of them will momentarily open when you do this. But it still is not a switch, it is a circuit breaker.

The one you linked should work. They come in many shapes, I recommend getting one that looks similar to the old one and mounts in similar fashion.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• As Enzo stated, when the breaker pops, the button will pop out further. When you took it apart, there was probably a bi-metal strip that inverts when heated (by excess current) and pops the breaker.
                            For a while, Traynor was using the same Mel-Rain breakers:

Originally posted by btah View Post
                            G1, I get the Ace of Spades and Don't forget the joker avatar, but I can't quite figure out "Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks.".
                            That's a quote from a favourite movie, Once Upon a Time in the West. "By the way, you know anything about a man going around playing the harmonica? He's somebody you'd remember. Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks."
                            Last edited by g1; 04-09-2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Looking for an opinion. I happen to have a breaker in a speaker that I would be willing to scavenge. The specs are:
                              1.25 amp hold
                              2.25 amp break

The spec for the amp says 3 amp. I know it would "work" and it seems close enough. Anyone think it would be an issue?

Comment

• The only issue it would make is "nuisance" blowing. If it doesn't pop when firing up the amp, or when playing full out, it should be fine.
                                If it's occasionally popping in either situation, it will probably bother you enough to put a bigger one in.

Comment

Working...
                                X