Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the problem with original Bulgin mains power sockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the problem with original Bulgin mains power sockets?

Hi MEF Lovers.

I have an all original (except power cap filtering) '69 Laney LA60BL that still has the original Bulgin socket installed and I use it for a few hours every other day or so.

I see a lot of chatter about the urgency of replacing original Bulgin power sockets. Why is this?

Thanks.
    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

It is very common to find insufficient pressure on the contacts. The mechanical clamping of the cable is not the best either. Electrical safety issues should always be taken seriously.

Comment

Yes, the cable plugs are nasty, no clamp / retention for the cable sheath.
      Plus they’re expensive/ rare, when a spare power cable is a very good thing to have.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

They were advanced in their time, offering removable mains cable with 3 pin grounded connector, compare that to the same era standard of, say, Fender, Ampeg, (and tons others) fixed 2 wire mains cable.
        But then they were superseded by IEC connectors and even Bulgin makes them today, so, why not update?

For a single amp, a file and a little patience is enough, no need to buy an expensive greenlee punch or similar.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Great to know! Thank you guys!

I will move to replace it!
          "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

I gather these connectors are the round PXO series parts? I seem to recall having that 3-pin part for AC Mains connection on a Wayne-Kerr Impedance Bridge years ago. Bruel & Kjaer used the 6-pin variety as I/O connectors, prior to changing to DIN parts to connect chart recorders to their gear. YUP. PITA to track down, and expensive. Metal work time for a reliable solution.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
            X