Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with old Teisco Amp

Hi guys.
    A friend of mine gave me an old Teisco tube amp, presumably from the late 60s. It has one 7 pin and one 9 pin tube socket (6AL6 and 5AZ8 tubes where inserted, these are not the original ones), output (no specs) and power transformer with 117V primary and 245V and 6.3V secondaries.
    On the attached pics you can see the component side with tube sockets and the front panel.
    I think that someone gave this amp a new clothing, I don't think that is the original cover or color of this amp. I changed the electrolytic caps that were completely dried out. When I turn on the amp, some noise comes out of the speaker but no reaction to something plugged in or turning the controls...
    Does anyone have any ideas what tubes came originally with this little amp? And maybe schematics for this type of circuit?
    Thanks alot for your help.

It has 15 parts and two tube sockets. Trace the circuit out. The wiring ought to suggest tubes. For example 7-pin 6AQ5 for a power tube, and a 12AX7 for the preamp.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Can you post photos of the foil side and wiring

Comment

Where is the power transformer, in the cabinet? Are there diodes or rectifier there? Or is OT on the speaker?
        Seems to be a model MP 61 (Melody). Best info seems to be that it used 12AV6 (or AU?) and 50C5.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-tube-amp.html
        http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/Teisco/61.html
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Did the amp originally have a dual-section can cap fitted to the upper left (as pictured)?

Comment

It did indeed have a dual-section 20uF / 20uF 300WV can in the left upper corner. I replaced it with 2x 47uF350V "modern" caps. That's what I had on hand.
            Here's a pic of the PT. The OT seems to be originally mounted on the speaker, right now is is fixed to the chassis. And someone clearly messed with it, as you can also see on the foil side (pic attached) and wiring, looks really nasty...
            There is one diode mounted behind the 2 caps, you just can't see it in the picture. The OT is connected one side to the diode kathode (245VAC on the anode), and the other side to pin 4 on the 9 pin tube socket. This might be wrong, considering that the 6AQ5 or 50C5 would be the output pentode.

Comment

Looks like the 7 pin tube is the input, maybe 6AV6. The 9 pin could be 6BM8. More photos might help. Clean the dust and dirt off the foil side, take a photo, move the wires a little, take another, and another

edit: I just searched "teisco" and "6BM8" and found this page, looks like your amp https://www.ozvalveamps.org/teisco.html
              Last edited by dmeek; 06-21-2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Anyone knows knows anything about this OT? I know the output is 8 ohms, it can handle 7W, I need the input impedance. The one on this amp appears to have an open winding on the side that connects to the amp. And there is nothing printed on the actual transformer.

Comment

Working...
                X