To mod or not to mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To mod or not to mod?

I recently got an interest in working on vintage amps, and one of the first updates I plan to make with one is to swap out a 2-wire power cord with a new 3-wire. Thing is, the amp does not have a fuse, so I am interested in adding a fuse holder in the circuit.

I am struggling with the idea of drilling out the face plate to mount the fuse holder.

What is the general consensus on doing such intrusive mods to older gear? Is it widely expected or wildly frown upon?

It's my amp and I can do what I want to it, but I respect the vintage vibe too much and it's giving me pause.

Thoughts?

Mount the fuse in a holder inside the chassis.
    More trouble to access but no visible mod required.

Or, mount the fuse holder on the back panel, not the faceplate.
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

I was going through the back panel but still feel guilty of drilling it out. I know it's the right/safe thing to do, but still...

Comment

What amp model/brand? How vintage?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It's my only other post on this forum. you can see it there.

Comment

Here's an inline fuse holder used in another amp that tigerzilly just worked on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=978534.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	978551
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by bill0287 View Post
              It's my only other post on this forum. you can see it there.
              It is best to put all the relevant information in this thread. That will allow the other members to give you the highest level of help.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Here's an inline fuse holder used in another amp that tigerzilly just worked on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=978534.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	978551

Kinda offtopic, but that yellow mustard cap really shouldn't be there on the PT primary.
                Valvulados

Comment

What galaxiex and g1 said. Yess you'd need to open the amp to get to the fuse, but the vintage look and is preserved and quite possibly the amp itself. An in line fuse holder should be easy to install and if the amp ever blows you'd need to open it up anyway if it DIDN'T have a fuse. Once it'sopened for service, which you would need to do anyway, the fuse is accessible. And likely the fuse caught something that would have been more expensive, or more detrimental to the amps stock/vintage value. I'll vote for the in line fuse tucked in the chassis.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If the fuse is mounted inside the chassis you could also use a simple fuse holder such as shown in the attached photo.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I am definitely going to add a fuse, I just can't bring myself to drill the chassis so I will find one to mount inside, either the inline type g1 showed or the one Tom shared. Either way, it's going inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X