Weber Speakers for Harp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Speakers for Harp

I just noticed on Ted Weber's website that he offers a number of speakers in odd nominal impedances which allow exact all-parallel matching to standard OT secondaries, for example 12 ohms model 10A125 10" alnico for 5E7 Bandmaster. Three 12 ohms in parallel is 4 ohms.

How are these speakers for harp? He offers many of them with a special "harp dome".

I don't play harp, and can only guess at what harp players are looking for in a speaker. But I have a Weber 12A125-O, which I think is great for a gritty bluesy guitar sound. This model speaker just happens to be fairly popular for harp amps...I can kinda "hear" it as a harp speaker, but I'm not good at describing it much beyond that.

Comment

Took the Plunge

I just ordered two Weber 10A125s (Alnico) and one 10F125 (ceramic) all at 12ohms with the harp dome, and 20W no dope cones. Also the 5E7 chassis and the 200mA tweed choke, so now I'm committed!

Comment

I have a 10A125-O with a H(arp) dustcap in a Pro Junior. It was a dramatic improvement over the original Fender ceramic speaker. It sounds great.

I also own a smooth cone Alnico Sig 8. That's in a Champ clone. It provides monster tone in a tiny package.

Comment

Weber Harp Speakers

I put a pair of Weber Vintage speakers (10A125 and 10A125-O), both with the "H" dust cap and a light dope, in an amp I recently built specifically for harp, and am very pleased with the sound I get from these speakers. I believe that the purpose of the larger H cap is to attenuate the higher frequencies somewhat and emphasize bass, helping to control feedback. I'm new enough at this that I don't have a lot of experience with different makes of speakers, but I am very satisfied with the Webers and with the service I recieved from Ted and crew.

Comment

Thank You, Gents

Good to hear of good harp experience with the Webers. With any luck mine should be shipping about now.

Allende, any particular reason for picking the light dope option? I picked no dope because I had heard that was the best for vintage tone, but that is for guitar, not harp, soooo...?

Comment

I had a signature 12s alnico (against ted's recommendation, mind you, but within my budget) in a darker sounding harp amp I have. It sounds great for guitar but it had too much treble response for harp. I tend to prefer darker sounding speakers, so I eventually swapped it for a really darking sounding utah ceramic 4-ohm speaker I snagged from a transistor organ. The low impedance speaker on the 8-ohm tap sounds very gritty and it's a very efficient one as well. Ted recommended a ceramic speaker to me when I emailed him, so I probably should have followed his advice. Ideally, I'd like to put my 4-ohm ceramic and my 8-ohm alnico weber in a 2x12, their voicings really complement each other. I'll probably wire them in series and try a 12-ohm cabinet--I try not to mismatch by more than 100% (I don't mind mismatching a little, although I prefer to mismatch low. I save the nice output tubes for recording and immediately replace them with the modern ones afterward)

Comment

Working...
              X