Traynor Beta 800 testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor Beta 800 testing

Hi, i just complete a component check on a Traynor Beta 800 that had burned traces on the power supply board.
    I found defective outputs, drivers and predrivers as well as a protection Triac and so, a few diodes too.
    Once the overall done, suspect or defective components replaced, i also check the electrolytics and changed a few.

This is a pretty heavy and big amp with 8 big metal case outputs on each channel.

I want to power it up just the power supply first.
    What should i expect as a power draw without both power amp boards ?

What is the safest procedure for testing a badly injured amp once repaired ?

I currently have a 200w bulb in serie and it glow dim but steady in a 10 second test, the +65v/-65v look to stabilise.
    But i don't wait more for now...
    Attached Files

The power supply is functionnal but the voltages are not in specs.

Before the bridge i have 135vac and 141vac.
    After the bridge i have a +67v steady and -95v slowly ramping up...

On the +/-80v bus, i have +80v and -95v clean enough.
    and on the +/-65v bus, i have +67v and -92v after about 1 minute after Power On.​

Something is weird...

Comment

I have repaired many Beta 800s over the years. Very often I found Q12 or Q13 (MJE340 MJE350) had arced over to the heatsink, burning traces on the pcb. I would replace the steel screws with plastic and make sure the
      insulator hole is no bigger than needed. No other damage was caused by this. Don't know if this is related to your problem but it's something to check.

Comment

Nice to know that, i will check.

What do you think of the power supply voltage not being symetrical ?

And that the positive is steady but the negative is slowly ramping up...

I include the best schematic i have for the amp circuit page 1.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JP-Stereo; 06-17-2024, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Are you using an oscilloscope? Check for ripple on the main filter caps.

Here is a better schematic

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beta 800 amp.gif
Views:	68
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1000450 Click image for larger version

Name:	Beta 800 pwr.gif
Views:	65
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1000451

Comment

I also change the four 1N4004 after the bridge, the BZX79 were replaced earlier.

Now the 80v rails are +79, -95 and the 65v rails are at +65.5, -71.5...
            No ripple in AC 5v/div.

Only caps and resistors left, unless the transformer is out of specs...

Comment

This is still with amp boards disconnected?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, power supply unloaded.
                Measurments taken at the empty Power Supply ribon cable connectors to amp.

Maybe disconnecting the TX to Bridge in order to confirm if this unballancing is starting at the TX ?

Comment

Direct on the unplugged secondary of the transformer.
                  I have from sides to CT ; 48.43vac and 48.44vac, from side to side = 96vac on an RMS multimeter.
                  Pretty symetrical at this point.

I've found that one wire was sqweezed under the bridge, doesn't look like it was short yet, but it was not ok. (WC10 to WC6) a secondary AC supply.

I will try it with this corrected...

Comment

It's a bit of an uncommon type power supply. If it is still unbalanced with loads disconnected, you will need to check all the diodes and electrolytic caps in this area:

Click image for larger version

Name:	beta supply.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1000936
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X