stereo amplifier. 6aq7a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stereo amplifier. 6aq7a

I am looking to build a decent stereo tube amplifier. I primarily wish to use it as a reference amplifier for recording (I know there are lower distortion solid state units that will cost much less). I was wondering if anybody has any experience with 6aq7a (I have some of them and they are inexpensive). I was thinking class A push pull with Hammond 1609 output trannys. does anybody have any experience or ideas. I have been trying to find some hifi designs to look at for the power amp (the pre-amp shouldn't be too hard to findsomething for.) thanks in advance.

Benjamin

Stereo amp

This may not be your bag, but I used the Gibson GA-50 preamp feeding a cathode follower > FX send, then returned to two 6L6 SE amps. All octal. [6SJ7 > 6J5 > 6SN7 > (2) 6L6] It's quiet as all get out, and plenty loud for practice and recording. I mention the SE because your design will be a compromise with chassis space. Having only two output tubes really clears out room. Using P-P with smaller tubes is not that much more power, takes up space with extra components. Another problem with chassis layout is that there are now two outputs bleeding signal all over, and it's just easier to manage the circuit without coupling signal back to your input.
    Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
    Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
    X