Ungrounded power amp with PA set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ungrounded power amp with PA set up?

At the moment I dont want to pony up for powered mixer,an amp or both. I have an underpowered Carvin 8 channel powered mixer thats got a grounded cord that I hooked up to my Carver M1.0t amp that doesnt. Bit of an odd amp the it shares a common ground with its channels. Not sure if that has anything to do with it not having a grounded cord though.
    The mic's are plugged into a properly grounded mixer and the signal then obviously goes to the ungrounded Carver.

I'll add Ive used this set up once and it works well together. Im just concerned about grounding the power amp. Thoughts? Bob
    Last edited by rockon1; 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM.
    "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Bump.

Comment

Both chassis *should* be grounded via the audio interconnect leads, if any doubts, do a continuity test from the carver (whilst hooked up to the Carvin mixer) to the grounded pin on the Carvin AC plug.

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
        Both chassis *should* be grounded via the audio interconnect leads, if any doubts, do a continuity test from the carver (whilst hooked up to the Carvin mixer) to the grounded pin on the Carvin AC plug.
        Hmmm. I just checked and in fact this is the case! Cool. Thanks! Bob

Comment

Ok I figured to be safe-er and have a better cord on the amp i'd install a grounded one anyways. The original cord wasnt even polarized. Does it matter wihich way I hook up the new cord? Cant imagine it would but I figured I'd ask. The original goes to a fuse holder and to the board. Thanks Bob

Last edited by rockon1; 06-17-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X