Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studiomaster 300 8.2 Powerhouse.

Hi
    I have a studiomaster 300 8.2 mixing desk, This has a 2 x 300w built in power amp. The Output says min 4 ohms. My speakers are 200w Each with 8 Ohms.
    My problem is If i put a sterio or a mono Input signal into the mixer it will only be heard clearly if the signal is panned to either the left or right. for example if i plugged a mic into one of the inputs and sang i would expect the signal to come out of both speakers when pan pot was in the central position, the left speaker when panned to the left and right speaker to the right. At the moment the central position i hear very little weak muffled sound, To the right perfect sound out of BOTH speakers ? and left perect sound out of BOTH speakers. Does anyone know whats happening ??? Any help greatly appreciated.

Center the pan pot. Now connect ONLY one speaker to the left out. Does the sound come out OK or is it muffled. Now move the one speaker to the other channel output. Same test, does it sound OK therre by itself, or still muffled. And on either side, turn the pan pot back and forth. Does the signal get louder and softer, or does it still go from muffled at center and strong at the end of travel?

Can you reverse the leads on the speakers either at the amp or at the speaker? If so, try reversing the wires to ONLY ONE of the speakers.

My first reaction was that your speakers are out of phase, or possibly the amp is set for bridge mode.

An interesting experiment is to connect a speaker between the hot terminals of the left and right of some amp. Then feed the same signal to both amps. If the volumes are up the same on the two channels, the same exact thing is on the two terminals, so the signal ACROSS the speaker is zero. Turn one or the other volume down, and the full output of one channel appears across the speaker.

Those are the two possibilities that come to my mind.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi Enzo
      Thanks for your reply, I have tried what you have suggested in the first instance as im not sure i understand your second suggestion. When i unplug one output i get the same problem a very weak signal, barey noticable at all panned at center, full travel left, and full travel right. I have done the same test on both outputs on the amp and at the speaker inputs. My worries are that because the amp is a 300+300 I.E 300 watt per side, one of the amps have blown ?? Do you think this is possible ? would it cause this problem effect ?. Thank you again any more suggestions would be a god send. Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X