Peavey XR700C output problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XR700C output problem

Basically, I have a problem with the output speaker jacks. The Main L and R output to speaker jacks do not work, but the Monitor output to speaker L and R jacks do.

I've opened it up and ran continuity tests and everything from the board to the 1/4 jacks works from that end and the jacks themselves work. Im assuming Black is the common so it has to be coming from that direction on the board. Mostly because I notice at the board, both the (main) and (monitor) positives are tied to the same connection. I really do not know the best approach to trace back from the commons through the board to find the problem. Any Ideas on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

I have some experience with circuitry but still very new to it. This was the way it was when I bought it for cheap a while back, so I'm seeing if I can fix it before I try to sell it.

Thankyou

First, this is a mono mixer, there are no L and R mains, there are just mains. The main out does have two jacks, but they are wired together. There are two for your convenience connecting two cabs. Same setup on monitors.

So nothing comes out the main jacks.

Isolate the problem. COnnect the speakers to the main as usual. PLug a signal into the MAIN power amp in jack on the mixer. See on the rear panel, just next to the speaker jacks are the monitor and the main powr amp jacks. If no sound, then the powr amp has a problem. If sound happens, then plug the signal into the graphic in jack, two jacks lower. Sound?

The monitor amp works, right? Let's use it. Plug a spare cord from MASTER OUT (in the MAIN column of jacks) to POWER AMP IN in the MONITOR column. Now play the mixer as always. Does the main sound not come out the monitor speakers? Does the master volume now control them?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      First, this is a mono mixer, there are no L and R mains, there are just mains. The main out does have two jacks, but they are wired together. There are two for your convenience connecting two cabs. Same setup on monitors.
      haha, I knew it was a mono amp so i should of known that, was assuption L and R, opps.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      So nothing comes out the main jacks.

Isolate the problem. COnnect the speakers to the main as usual. PLug a signal into the MAIN power amp in jack on the mixer. See on the rear panel, just next to the speaker jacks are the monitor and the main powr amp jacks. If no sound, then the powr amp has a problem. If sound happens, then plug the signal into the graphic in jack, two jacks lower. Sound?

The monitor amp works, right? Let's use it. Plug a spare cord from MASTER OUT (in the MAIN column of jacks) to POWER AMP IN in the MONITOR column. Now play the mixer as always. Does the main sound not come out the monitor speakers? Does the master volume now control them?
      Thanks for the info!
      Ill run these tests on it this week

Comment

So, before I messed around with it Saturday afternoon. Basically what happened since I bought the thing was when I plugged into the channels(1-7) with XLR or 1/4 on the (high z in). There was no sound coming out of the main speaker jacks, only monitor. The guy had just got it in at the music store and said he had not got around to fixing it, so sold it to me for a decent price. I didnt care, ill use the monitor output jacks, right. Now that Im getting rid of it I wanted to see if I could fix it. I dabble in that type of thing.

Now, back to Saturday afternoon. I never use the 'power amp in' on monitor or main so I couldn't tell you if that had the same scenario. To make a long story short had it opened up and ran continuity tests on the jacks to see if there was a problem with them like I said before. Looked good. Being the foolish apprentice that I am, I plugged it in and shorted the damn thing out, blew the main fuse.( I know how it happened and im learning. the board was loose and i thought i was good, but the metal spacers under the board said, "NO")

Today I bought a new exact same bussmann ABC 8 fuse for it and whallah. Everything works all of a sudden channels 1-7 work just fine now...

any theories?

My guess is only to say...damn Peavey...

time to trade it and the speakers I have towards the cost of a Gibson SG standard!
        Last edited by sabol; 10-26-2010, 12:48 AM.

Comment

If it now works, then count your blessings.

The point of those jacks you never use was that if you now use them for testing purposes, it helps locate which part of the system was faulty.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge Enzo.
            I owe ya one.

Comment

Working...
            X