Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10,000uf 120V Snap-in caps - Where Can I find them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10,000uf 120V Snap-in caps - Where Can I find them?

I'm trying to find 2 10,000uf 120V Snap-in capacitors. They are for a NAD 2200 power amp. No one seems to have anything in this size. Can anyone think of some place that might have this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

A quick look in Mouser found me some 100v options. Is 100v enough for this application?

My strategy would include being flexible. You want snap-ins, but are there any plain wire lead ones that work? You want 10kuf, but certainly 12kuf would be fine. You want 120v, but 150v would work too. And how much space do you have? Two 5600uf in parallel works as a sub. And Digikey usually has more caps than anyone else.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The rails are sitting at 95V, so 100V is pretty close, maybe too close. And space is a premium. The original caps were Nichicon, but they are no longer in production.

There are more choices in screw terminal caps at these larger values, so I might have to jury rig something to get bigger caps in there. Unfortunately, larger values and larger voltages mean larger caps.

Thanks Enzo!

Comment

Never assume. Higher voltages and larger values means larger caps - AT ANY GIVEN TIME. But certainly we can look at many 20 year old caps and find modern caps twice the value and at higher voltage that still are half the size of the originals.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Fully agree. Electrolytic chemistry is one are where there have been enormous advances.
          Your amp is from mid to late 80's.
          I have a policy of lifetime backing of my amplifiers; sometimes I have an 80's vintage one to refurbish; today's generic asian radial 2200x50 is 60% the height and 60% the diameter (less than half the volume) of my old 2500x50 Siemens snap-ins.
          I'm sure the same applies to you.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X