Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha EMX5000 Powered Mixer - is disconnecting B+/- bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha EMX5000 Powered Mixer - is disconnecting B+/- bad?

Hello all, I've been lurking for some time but this is my first post.

I have an EMX5000 mixer with a bad power amp. I think the SMPS is good, and I don't need the built in amp. I have removed the output transistors (A1492/C3856 pairs) and the drivers.

The B+/- is routed from the power supply to the amp board via a three wire connector, and I think the rest of the mixer will work without this connected. Can I simply disconnect this without any ill effects to the power supply or does it have to have a load to work properly?

At some point down the road I will take the time to fix it, but for now I just want to use the mixer without the amp. Any advice is appreciated, and I can provide a schematic if needed. Thanks!

Tad

Usually you can do that. Try it. One negative possibility is that there may be some protection circuit that would miss those voltages and shut the system down. For examp-le in the Behringer powered mixers, you have to dissconnect the low voltage cable from the power amps as well as the +/-V cable for that reason.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, Enzo. I gave it a try and it works, but the power supply is making is making a strange buzzing noise. It sounds like its struggling to provide the voltages, which worries me. I've worked on this mixer before and don't remember hearing that noise.

I think it would be better to give it some kind of load to dump into. Any thoughts?

Comment

One each of a 5K / 5 watt resistor on the B+ & B- rails, referenced to ground, will load the power supply pretty good.

Comment

Working...
        X