CS-1000X help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS-1000X help....

I've been getting around to working on a few dead power amps lately & I am currently tinkering with a cs-1000X.

Plug it in & hit the switch, the transformer powers up, but no relay kicks in & no indicator light's on the front panel. Also, the fan just hums, seems to want to spin but doesn't. The obvious seems to be a power supply problem. Anyone seen this one before?
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Well,what voltages do you measure at the PSU?
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I noticed that big resistor on the power supply PCB likes to cook itself free on that amp

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Has anyone seen this? Probably. Dead amps are not all that rare, especially in the repair business.

But beyond that, I sure would not assume that all have the same cause. Think of it like a small child with a belly ache. Many get them, but there is not ONE cause.

Juan asks the first pertinent quetion: what voltages are present in the powr supply?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

When I asked if anyone had seen this, I was hoping someone might have experienced the same symptoms with this particular amp & could guide me to an easy fix.

Across the two leads connected to the bridge rectifier, I get 120 volts.
          Across the two smaller brown leads that connect to the circuit board, I get 40 volts.
          Across the third larger lead which exits the opposite side of the secondary leads, I get 60 volts when I check between it & either of the other two larger leads.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate the help & thank you for the welcome.

Comment

Upon further review, I removed the "upper output board" & after I got it flipped over I noticed that not only are there some burned up components, (appear to be a diode & a resistor) but there is a hole burned through the top of one of the output transistors. Also looks like there's some possible "cooking" going on down on the lower board as well. This may not be worth the $$$ to repair....

Comment

Of course I don't know you well enough to know if we can guide you through a repair. As to whether it is worth it or not... I am spending your money, but consider the amp replacement. What would that cost, versus repairs? It may cost $150 to fix, but could you replace the amp for that? I'd guess not, myself. That also assumes the amp matters to you. It could be a spare you never use.

I understood your purpose, I was trying to say that someone else's experience would likely not be from the same parts failing or same other cause.

Having said that, while any competent amp tech can fix this - any schematics and parts are available to anyone direct from Peavey - a authorized Peavey repair shop, of which there are many, would be more familiar with working on them. Not so much they'd seen the exact same failure, but they were familiar with the overall layout, the PV schematic formats, the parts they use, etc.

Sorta like your rock band could learn to play a new polka with a bit of effort, but a polka band could learn a new polka in a heartbeat.

COntact the nearest PV shops and ask about their repair rates.

Let us know if we can help.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X