No announcement yet.

peavey cs800 1/2 not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it, and thanks for posting the results - I always like to think such things will help somebody someday...

Comment

hi i?m looking for CS 800 PEAVEY SCHEMATICS

hi Stan I?m looking for CS 800 PEAVEY SCHEMATICS, (the old one model) is the first time i enter in this page, and is difficult for me because i don?t speak english very well
      so i don?t know if you can help me with this.
      or how can i do a question that is seen by all in this page?

Originally posted by stan View Post
      I have an older(mid 80's?) Peavey CS 800 power amp that has only 1 channel working(1/2 of power amp). does anyone know where I can get schematics or at least where I should start looking for the problem?

Comment

Hello Jose, welcome to the forum here.

This thread is over a year old, you could start a new thread for your amp if you like. You will get more response that way.

Peavey will send you the schematics if you ask them. send an email to repair@peavey.com or parts@peavey.com

When you contact them, include the amplifier serial number. That will help them select the correct drawing.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

cs 800 old style amp

Hello,

use your 'good channel' to aid you in fixing the faulty side, start by checking and testing the o/p transistors for short's, don't forget the crow bar trac at the o/p binding post for short circuit. resolder poor joints on the driver pcb and check all connection pulgs as they do work lose.

cheers for now,

amptech

Comment

I've seen the header connectors on the driver pcb cause problems. Be sure to inspect those closely as they are prone to cracking loose from the board.
            The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

CS800 amp (2nd generation model)

Hi people
              Recently had one of the above amps for repair, with one channel dead.
              Was the 1989 model, with white writing on the front, a wind tunnel, large label on top showing crossovers and non-switchmode powersupply.
              There were no shorted output transistors or blown fuses.
              Both speaker protection relays dropped in when switched on.
              When measured with no speaker connected, there was a small dc voltage across the speaker terminals of some 110mV. This rose up to 360mV after 10 minutes of being switched on.
              No audio signal was getting through the faulty channel.
              Fault turned out to be resistor R79 on the vertical pcb of the relevant channel - it was completely open circuit.
              This is a 33k - 1/2 watt reisitor, in the constant-current source circuit of the front-end "differential pair". (associated with transistors Q18 & Q22.)
              It seems to lead a fairly hard life and is better replaced with a 1 watt component.
              Hope this info helps someone else with same problem.

Cheers Guys

Comment

1987 CS 800 problem

Just as an FYI to anyone finding this thread who is working on a CS 800. I just finished repairing one that had a problem in channel A but a good working channel B. The symptoms were a very low distorted output on the problem channel, clipping light flashing or solid all the time (unless the level control was turned completely clockwise or off) and the power board getting very warm on that channel.

The problem turned out to be a shorted triac on the channel A triac board. This was determined by first swapping the power/driver board assemblies and then the input boards one at a time across the channels while observing that the problem stayed in Channel A.

I then disconnected the triac board on channel A. At that point, the clipping LED stopped flashing through the full stroke of the level control and the overheating of the power transistors stopped as well. This was all done with a signal injected into both channels for comparison.

As Amptech explained to me, the triac board is a crowbar protection circuit which shorts the output circuit in the event of a speaker overload. Funny that Peavey didn't put a fuse in line with this safety (like in a typical crowbar protector) to disconnect the output circuit and prevent potential collateral damage.

Just thought I would share.
                Last edited by bnwitt; 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM.
                Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

cs8000 not working

Hey Barry,
                  Glad all worked out in the end and your amp is up and running ok.
                  There's room in there to add fues's in line with each supply rail to the power pcb just for safety. Them old monsters run for ever with a good service, better then cheap china amps of today!

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks

Amptech your help was invaluable in directing me to the problem. Thanks again for sharing.
                    Barry
                    Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

the CS-800 blues..

Hello!

I've got a CS-800 from 1983. Channel B works great, but Channel A is passing no signal.

When I got it, it blew a fuse immediately. I removed the power transistors from Channel A to test them, and found several with shorted terminals. So, I replaced those.

It blew another fuse. After swapping all of the sections of Channel A and B for testing, I found the Triac board and removed the Triac (SAC187). Now it powers up without blowing a fuse.. but Channel A passes no audio to the speaker output.

Also, the "output clipping" LED lights up when I give it reasonable input signal while Channel A's volume pot is turned up 1/4 of the way or more.

I assume this means there's probably DC on the audio output(?)

Can anyone recommend some likely causes / solutions?

Thank you!

-Robert
                      [ quietchannel.blogspot.com ]

Comment

cs 800 blues

Hello Robert,

I've posted many comments on these amps all with same fault blowing it's fuse.

If there's a 'good' channel use it as a ref point to take voltage readings and compare these readings to the bad channel.

watch out for loose connections poor solder joints and them triac crow bar circuits that drives folk nuts

Do you have a scope/sine genertor has they will help you track down the fault faster and save you some time. Don't for get do a quick dc offset test with no load. You can use a speaker test load made up with a resistor of say 6.8 ohm 100w or more per side.

Comment

cs-800 series c amp

peavey cs-800 c series amp

ok this is my first time being here, and hope i can get some help.

i got a peavey cs-800 c series amp. one channel is out "B" channel. the clip light stays on all the time with no sound out that channel. now i kinda of a novice to electronics, i know some but not alot. i had one of these amps do this same thing to me before, and seen it blew one of the big blue caps inside 15000mfd at 90volts, i replaced it and it worked. but this one doesn't show any sign of the caps have gone bad. so the only thing i have done so far with this amp is i checked the caps, and they both seem to be fine. so now what? can sombody please help me.

Comment

Hi, welcome. May I suggest starting a new thread for your amp? You will get better respons than here at the end of a 25 post run that has been dormant for 6 months. I will say the photos up in post #10 could be useful to refer to in discussion.

The power supply is shared by both channels. if it were screwed up, neither would work right. Whatever you have going is in the channel.

Look on the volume control for the bad channel. Isn;t there an op amp on the little board? It is in a socket, isn;t it? Try a new one, or swap it with the other channel's. If the problem moves with the IC, it is bad.

The power output stuff is probably OK, or you'd likely be blowing fuses. The driver card on each channel is the same, you could swap driver cards between sides to see if the card holds the problem.

We need to isolate the problem to solve it.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The triac in those amps is the "sacrificial lamb" in the "crowbar" protection scheme. DC on the output will fire the triac, which shorts the mains power and blows the mains fuse, and commits suicide in the process. The triac almost ALWAYS needs to be replaced when there's a short.
                              John R. Frondelli
                              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

some more info

ALso do forget the caps on top if you remember you got short pops those where the caps blowing what may have been the cause was a bad eletrical feed to the system at least thats what happen to me ..now does anyone know where I can get the triac?

Comment

Working...
                                X