Amp identification needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp identification needed.

I was told this came from an organ. There are no markings on it. It has 2 6l6gb, 1 5u4gb, 1 6sn7gt, and 1 12ay7. I am linking 2 photos.
    Thanks in advance.

http://tekvalleycpu.com/images/amps/side.jpghttp://tekvalleycpu.com/images/amps/top.jpg

I want an amp that says "EXCESSIVE VOLUME MAY CAUSE DISTORTION" on the chassis!!!

Very likely an organ or console amp. Not much to say beyond that. You could draw your own schematic by starting with the tubes and following the circuits from each pin. Then fill in the power supply. If you plan to gut the amp, a schematic is moot anyway. Looks to be quality. That lay down OT right next to the lay down PT may hum. If you look around you could probably find brackets to mount the OT upright. Of course the power supply filter capacitors will need replacement.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck,
      Thanks for the reply. Im really hoping someone will be able to identify it for me because I want to buy another just like it.
      Tekvalley

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I want an amp that says "EXCESSIVE VOLUME MAY CAUSE DISTORTION" on the chassis!!!
        Yeah, that cracked me up.
        I'll bet you have all of the workings there for a nice 'tweed' type amp.
        Most of the older amps did not go much above 25 watts output.
        Last edited by tboy; 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

Originally posted by tekvalley View Post
          I was told this came from an organ. There are no markings on it. It has 2 6l6gb, 1 5u4gb, 1 6sn7gt, and 1 12ay7. I am linking 2 photos.
          Thanks in advance.

http://tekvalleycpu.com/images/amps/side.jpghttp://tekvalleycpu.com/images/amps/top.jpg
          That is a Hammond Leslie power amp...
          It is used to amplify church organs...
          But, it makes a good start for a guitar amp too.
          The schematic is printed in: "The Tube Amp Book."

Comment

I can see where you would think so. It MIGHT be. But it's a little different from any that I've seen. Might be a knock off from another organ company. Unless you have a tight bead on the exact era I think your conviction is unwarranted. But if it IS a Hammond then it may be possible to narrow the model and help the OP find another, as he wishes. Any more specific info would be great.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Since I have worked on Hammond organs quite a bit, and it says "excessive volume may cause distortion"...
              I know it's a Hammond Leslie amp.

Comment

All the Leslie amps I've seen have the preamp tubes perpendicular on the left side, two controls on the same surface as the tubes on the far left and use a choke. Like th image below. There are some minor differences but none of the Leslies match the OP's amp. But you are right about the Hammond part. I knew I'd seen the "EXCESSIVE VOLUME..." before. But which Hammond is it??? Hammond made amps for several brands and didn't always associate for brand recognition. So this could still be from a lesser known organ!!! It's NOT a Leslie.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the insight so far. I at least have a starting point to troll through the internet. The main reason I want to identify is so I can find another just like it for a project. Thanks for all info so far....

Comment

Looks like a Baldwin to me.
                    Can't say what model though.

Comment

Working...
                    X