Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stanton A1800 PA amplifier - Opinions, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton A1800 PA amplifier - Opinions, anyone?

G'day all...

I've been offered a really good deal on a new Stanton A1800 matched with a pair of Wharfedale Titan 15 speakers (2 x 400W into 8-ohms). I'm new to this whole area of live sound and I'm not familiar with Stanton as a brand. This place looks like it's full of people who might know a little bit about amps, so what do you think? Good or bad?

While I'm at it - has anyone got any opinions on the Wharfedale Titan 15 speakers (Sorry - I know it's an amp forum).

The rig would be used for FoH for our covers band playing pubs and small country halls. I'm after a simple, bulletproof (and economical) solution which will fill our venues but doesn't necessarily make the punters' ears bleed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alex

P.S: This is my first post here so be gentle with me...
    Godin Freeway SA (HSH / Graphtec Hexaphonic pickup)
    Maton ECW-80C Accoustic (AP-Mic pickup)
    Takamine F-400 12-string (Fishman 4T pickup)
    "Frankenstein" Ibanez BL100 (SSS / GK3 pickup)
    Boss GT-8
    Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth
    dB Technologies S400 (Sub & Satellite Stereo PA)

I did a bit of Googling, and it appears the Stanton A1800 is just a rebadged Cerwin-Vega CV-1800: http://www.cerwinvega.com/amps1800.php

C-V and Wharfedale are both reputable companies, so I guess that gear should be OK as long as the previous owner hasn't abused it.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for that, Steve!
      The gear I'm looking at is all new, so I would be the first one to abuse it.
      It's interesting that C-V is part of the Stanton group - I'd heard of C-V before but not Stanton. The specs look good on paper, but I was wondering more about the stuff they don't tell you in the brochures, like reliability and longevity.
      Godin Freeway SA (HSH / Graphtec Hexaphonic pickup)
      Maton ECW-80C Accoustic (AP-Mic pickup)
      Takamine F-400 12-string (Fishman 4T pickup)
      "Frankenstein" Ibanez BL100 (SSS / GK3 pickup)
      Boss GT-8
      Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth
      dB Technologies S400 (Sub & Satellite Stereo PA)

Comment

Working...
      X