Strat 500 weak distorted channel B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat 500 weak distorted channel B

Hi guys, semi noob here (well maybe super noob whatever)

Have a strategy 500 power amp. Channel B is weak / distorted / almost no bass. Here is what I checked so far:
    -Track 2 or track 1 functions the same and they switch ok
    -Switched all power and preamp tubes from CH1 to Ch2, didnt change any symptom at all.
    -Checked and double checked all speaker connections and tried the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps with diff speakers/cables
    Preamp:
    -Checked preamp Plate voltages (all high 200's VDC)
    -Checked preamp cathode voltages (all ~1-3VDC)
    -Checked coupling caps (grids on all preamp tubes 0VDC while pre-cap it is high 200's from plate)
    -visually looked for cold solder etc.. didn't see anything
    Power amp:
    -checked bias supply for push/pull/cha/chb all around -54VDC
    -all plate volts high DC

And finally last night i busted out the oscilloscope and was comparing waveforms on the preamp grids. I found that pin 2 of tube 1 on the channel B has a super distorted / wanky waveform whereas channel A on that preamp tube pin has a sine wave (200HZ input.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Strategy 400_Markup.png
Views:	1
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	870583
    I am leaning towards removing the tubes and checking this again to see if the measurements are affected. Also It appears that the feedback loop is connected to this pin so I am slightly skeptical of that area of the circuit. All I got is a strategy 400 schematic which seems to be accurate in that area around the preamp tubes at least.

Any troubleshooting tips from some pros?
    Strategy 400 Prelim Schematic.pdf

That strange looking waveform you point out is inside the feedback loop, and represents the loops attempt to correct the distortion. I see there's a funny lookin' thing on the cathodes of the pre and fb triodes, expect that's a constant current source between ground & pins 8&3. If everything else checks out, I'm suspecting that as the source of your problem. Maybe swap CCS's from one chan to the other & see if the problem follows.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Leo,

That thing turned out to be a J508 current regulating diode. I switched them as you so aptly suggested. Same problem stayed on channel B.

Then I tracked down the feedback from the output transformer and disconnected it (on CHB.) Within 5 minutes of doing this and leaving it disconnected, CHB started to work great again after a few pops and sputters. hmm.

So I reconnected the feedback loop, reassembled, and am playing music through it now. I think I hear a *very slight* amount of hiss on channel A that was not there before i switched the CCS. So faint it is a hunch really. Anyways this is very strange to me but nevertheless I ordered some NOS J508's on ebay and am going to switch these out when they arrive. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all she wrote, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it starts acting funny again. Thanks again buddy for the sharp shooting! here's some pics for the curious!

Name:	strategy 500 pic.jpg
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	841927

Name:	j508 in strategy 500.jpg
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	841926

Comment

For the curious, the J508 current regulating diode is like a FET with gate shorted to source:
        J508 | Vishay J508 Constant Current Diode, | Vishay
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
        X