recommendations for first hi fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendations for first hi fi

I want to build my first hifi but don't know much about it as far as which kits are good or what schematics or layout drawings to look for.

I have built several guitar amps so getting all the parts isn't a problem, also I have a sheet brake so I can make my chassis just need a good circuit to try. I would like to make it lower wattage and try to keep the cost down some what. Any recommendations or advice will be helpful.

Originally posted by tubelovin View Post
    I would like to make it lower wattage and try to keep the cost down some what. Any recommendations or advice will be helpful.
    Can you define "low wattage" and give a budget?

Comment

I want to build my first hifi but don't know much about it as far as which kits are good or what schematics or layout drawings to look for.

I have built several guitar amps so getting all the parts isn't a problem, also I have a sheet brake so I can make my chassis just need a good circuit to try. I would like to make it lower wattage and try to keep the cost down some what. Any recommendations or advice will be helpful.
      I've been wanting to try a PCB from these folks:

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/index.php

The ST35 looks pretty cool, it is a knockoff of a Dyna circuit. Probably 15 watts per channel or so. They have a manual for download so you can see if it is something you want to try or not.

If you want to scratch build an amp there are lots of circuits here:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/audioel.htm#Amps

They are power amps though, you'll need some kind of a preamp.

If you want to go extreme low budget, low watt, look for schematics for tubes like 6EA7, 6DN7, 6BM8, 6GW8. The first two have a small signal triode and a power triode in one evelope. The latter two have a small signal triode and a power pentode in one envelope. With tubes like these, you can use one per channel. Or you can use two per channel and have a phase inverter and a push pull power amp.

steve

Comment

I think i would like to keep the price around $500 as far as wattage I guess under 30 watts would be good.

What is the diff between the loudness of a guitar amp with 2 el34's and the hifi? I know that you really push tubes in a guitar amp. Does that mean that the volume would be lower in this situation?

I would be using my cd player as the pre, and will be using my Cerwin Vega speakers. Will they give me decent results?

The reason I want to make this is that my ancient reciever is crapping out and it would be a great time to learn the ins and out of a tube hifi.

Can I expect better sound Quality given the same amount of $ as compared to a store bought unit.

Comment

I think i would like to keep the price around $500 as far as wattage I guess under 30 watts would be good.
          Not sure if 30W is enough,because
          will be using my Cerwin Vega speakers. Will they give me decent results?
          Rule No.1:every +3 dB means double the output power.Not very scary as you read,but...
          In HiFi,the amp's output power is "proportionally inverse" with the loudspeakers' sensitivity (meaning that with 2-3W per channel you can flawlessly drive a pair of horns w.over 100dB/W/m BUT your average CW,Infinity or you-name-it having under 90 dB/W/m needs ALOT of power.ALOT.
          What is the diff between the loudness of a guitar amp with 2 el34's and the hifi? I know that you really push tubes in a guitar amp. Does that mean that the volume would be lower in this situation?
          "Pushing" a pair of 34's has less to do with power...it's rather related to the harmonic distortions' issue.
          On the other hand,most guitar loudspeakers are in the +95 dB/W/m ballpark,wich makes sense with the sensitivity detail as stated above.
          Can I expect better sound Quality given the same amount of $ as compared to a store bought unit.
          Definitely,yes.Consumer products are most often very little tweakable.With your own Frankenstein,in a few months of reading,consulting other people and "trial-and-error" processes you'll know by yourself what sound suits you the best and what paths to follow.
          Good luck!
          Last edited by Le Basseur; 05-04-2007, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X