Peavey PV118D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey PV118D

I'm working on a PV118D for a customer. He took it to another shop first and it looks like the previous tech used a flame thrower to solder/desolder parts. The power supply board is severely mangled. I tried to salvage it soldering in jumpers where traces were lifted, etc., but it will run for a bit and smoke again. Sure, I could troubleshoot further, but given the state of the board, I'd rather just replace it and start from scratch. I contacted Peavey and they sell only the full power amp module, which is surely an option. In the mean time, I thought I'd ask on the off chance. Does anyone have one of these laying around they'd want to part with? I need only the power supply board- preferably working, but if not I'll fix it- as long as the board has not been bastardized by an idiot like the one I have here. At least a decent board could be fixed reliably.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

GOod luck, I don't got.

You might try Full Compass or similar to see if they have parts other than whole modules.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm figuring it's a long shot, but worth a try. Maybe someone swapped out the whole amp module and still has the old one laying around.

Edit: FWIW: The PV15pm has the same power supply.

Comment

Probably not what your looking for but .....
        nosaj
        Buy the Peavey 32203560, Power Supply PCB for PV115D, PV215D, MAX110 at Full Compass Systems. 0% Financing and Free Shipping on thousands of items!
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Nope. I've already searched Full Compass with no luck. Thanks for the effort, though!

I'd upload a picture, but the thing is all assembled and it's hard to get a photo of just the supply unless you remove it. I'll upload a photo when I get the board out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Nope. I've already searched Full Compass with no luck. Thanks for the effort, though!
            I have found that when I can't find something, actually calling the sales /tech dept gets me what I'm looking for even if not on the website. Fullcompass that is.

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Full Compass sells Peavey parts and Peavey itself does not sell that part (just the power supply board). You have to buy the entire module. My thought is that if Peavey doesn't sell it, neither does Full Compass. I've already contacted Peavey about it. They are checking price and availability. I should hear from them soon. I was just looking for a less expensive way out in the meantime.

Comment

$292 for just he board?
                OUCH!!!!
                Probably $50 in parts, if that much.

$529 for the full cabinet, new, straight from Pvy; maybe lower street price, definitely less if used but of course working.

Unless a Tech can repair the original one at component level (looks like this one is beyond that) I donīt see much future in it.

What about replacing Power module with a nice plywood rectangle with a speakon in it and use it with any old boat anchor?
                Say a Pvy 800 or similar.

The typical solution here where itīs impossible ($$$$$) to get parts from USA.

How much does a generic 400-500W RMS EBay/Alibaba ClassD board with own supply?

Just thinking aloud.
                Last edited by J M Fahey; 07-13-2021, 02:02 AM.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here's a picture of the board if it helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power-Supply.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	936526

Comment

Not sure if you have the PS scheme & layout.
                    Here it is.
                    Attached Files

Comment

And the complete schematic:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        Full Compass sells Peavey parts and Peavey itself does not sell that part (just the power supply board). You have to buy the entire module. My thought is that if Peavey doesn't sell it, neither does Full Compass. I've already contacted Peavey about it. They are checking price and availability. I should hear from them soon. I was just looking for a less expensive way out in the meantime.
                        Ah that famous Peavey Parts Department. Do let us know 1) if they ever get back to you. and B: if you manage to successfully buy that module and get it delivered.

The way things are going, I wouldn't hold my breath. FWIW Parts Express has a variety of modern miniaturized power amps at low prices. I'm sure a number of other places do too.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks for the schematics, Jazz! I did not have them, despite being told they would be sent a couple of times from Peavey. Another kink in the iron: I've asked Chris at Peavey 3 times for a price and availability on the complete module. No answer.

I'm gonna go over this thing a bit more, now that I have the schematics. If I don't get results, I'm gonna look for a class D eBay amp with power supply and be done with it.

Comment

Guess itīs the short/safe path but not straightforward.

Read schematic carefully, sub woofer has TWO voice coils, each driven by its own dedicated 200W TDA8922 amplifier.

Please measure each voice coil DCR with precision, meters have trouble with low R values.

Maybe their **parallel** impedance is reasonable (say 4 ohm) and they can be paralleld and driven by a single amp, but letīs wait for measurement.

Some powered cabinets have SILLY impedance speakers, think JBL EON has a 2x 1 ohm coils or 2 x 2 ohm in parallel or something similar.
                            No big deal because "speaker cable" is just a few inches long, but anyway ......

Same power board is used in a 2 way cabinet, but there one chipamp drives horn, other drives woofer (presumably single coil?)

EDIT: if woofer coils are silly low (say 2 ohm each), you can always connect them in series and drive them with a more "normal" amp, say 200 to 400W RMS into 4 ohm.

I guess speaker has 4 terminals?

Please post a speaker picture or two (from the back), you know I am always interested in them
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The speaker is indeed a dual voice coil affair. I've already investigated that. Each coil is 8 ohms, so I should be able to parallel them finding an amp that will do a 4 ohm load, which shouldn't be a problem. I haven't taken the speaker out of the cabinet for pictures, but did test it with meter, battery, and a working amp. I don't plan on removing it, since it appears to be working fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X