Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Behringer powered mixer worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Behringer powered mixer worth fixing?

I'm not a techie; just looking for informed direction. A few months ago I picked up a Behringer Europower PMP2000 powered mixer for our band. The left output channel has recently gone bonkers; at first it was seemingly intermittently working and then not, then I discovered that when it's off, a loud signal (i.e., yelling into the mic) causes it to come on and work normally, at least for a while.

I assume this is a bad electronic component; beyond my capability to diagnose..

Unless someone can magically tell which component to replace (I can solder on circuit boards), I'm wondering does it make any sense to take to a technician to diagnose and repair it? I paid only $180 for it.

I can actually use the mixer with just the right channel in the Monitor/Main mode using a splitter cable to feed the two speakers. But I have already bought a replacement and would actually be looking to sell this if I can get it working normally.

I appreciate any input.
    Last edited by bluesbrian; 08-22-2021, 10:51 PM.

With an intermittent fault like this, where you can get the unit to sometimes work normally, it is often a bad solder connection or dirty/oxidized connection somewhere (like switches or insert jacks)..
    So it is less likely to be a faulty component.

You may not be able to diagnose the exact connection, but you should be able to isolate the fault further using the block diagram.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

In my experience, you likely have a dirty insert jack.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbrian View Post
        ..... does it make any sense to take to a technician to diagnose and repair it? I paid only $180 for it.
        You PAID $180 for it, but it is WORTH more, exactly "9 channel 700W mixer"
        Do not confuse Price with Value.
        But I have already bought a replacement and would actually be looking to sell this if I can get it working normally.
        So what´s your financial goal?
        Repair it for $5 so you can recover $175 back?
        Spend $175 so you get $5 back?
        Or anything in between?
        Sorry, it ain´t happening.
        Just in case, squirt a little (very little, don´t make a mess of it) WD40 into all insert jacks and work a plug in-out 5-10 times, to clean any possible grime.
        Which will already cost $8

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. I will follow up with the suggestions.

Comment

I'm not a techie; just looking for informed direction. A few months ago I picked up a Behringer Europower PMP2000 powered mixer for our band. The left output channel has recently gone bonkers; at first it was seemingly intermittently working and then not, then I discovered that when it's off, a loud signal (i.e., yelling into the mic) causes it to come on and work normally, at least for a while.

I assume this is a bad electronic component; beyond my capability to diagnose..

Unless someone can magically tell which component to replace (I can solder on circuit boards), I'm wondering does it make any sense to take to a technician to diagnose and repair it? I paid only $180 for it.

I can actually use the mixer with just the right channel in the Monitor/Main mode using a splitter cable to feed the two speakers. But I have already bought a replacement and would actually be looking to sell this if I can get it working normally.

I appreciate any input.
            Theres a transistor that probably needs to be replaced. Open it up and look around for something burnt...

Comment

Originally posted by Angel View Post

Theres a transistor that probably needs to be replaced. Open it up and look around for something burnt...
              Thanks for the tip, Angel. I still have it opened up and I take a dive into it when I have some spare time. I'll definitely follow up on your suggestion.

FYI, I've been able to eliminate the input jack issue.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Angel. I still have it opened up and I take a dive into it when I have some spare time. I'll definitely follow up on your suggestion.

FYI, I've been able to eliminate the input jack issue.
                Hi bluesbrian
                Did you fix the issue? how did you do it? i have the PMP2000D which i guess is similar to yours and currently the Left Output channel is also dead.

Comment

Originally posted by rayfloyd170 View Post

Hi bluesbrian
                  Did you fix the issue? how did you do it? i have the PMP2000D which i guess is similar to yours and currently the Left Output channel is also dead.
                  rayfloyd - It's still on the "to-do" pile. So nothing to report yet. Obviously it's not a high priority for me. I've already acquired its replacement.

Comment

Working...
                  X