Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Schertler amps failing with same issues. Filter caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Schertler amps failing with same issues. Filter caps?

Hi,
    i own the Schertler Unico and its little brother David.
    They are great portable mini PA/amps but now around 20 years old.
    During a gig the Unico lost all high end, as if the tweeter wasnt working and the main driver displayed distortion. The amp started up fine the next day but soon the same issues arose.
    i tried deduction to get at the root of the problem (as you do).
    So, guitar, mic, channels, speaker, tweeter, none of which got me any closer by switching components or order. I stopped using it for gigs and took the David instead.
    And now it becomes interesting. After a while it displayed the exact same issues.
    But the line out seemed to be working fine when hooked up to a powered speaker, including all the preamp controls so it must be the power section.
    I was thinking filter caps but im used to unusual sounds, high squicks and low drift which i didnt hear, just a quick high end cut off and distorted driver.
    any ideas?
    Btw, the amp could be on for just 15 minutes before issues arose and volume levels are not the issue as the problems are equal on moderate levels. I never push the amp over 75% of its capability.
    Last edited by Ballynallytoo; 03-12-2022, 05:30 PM.

Honestly.
    As the symptoms noted are appreciated you really do need to trouble shoot the amp.
    Start, as always, with the power supply..

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Honestly.
      As the symptoms noted are appreciated you really do need to trouble shoot the amp.
      Start, as always, with the power supply..
      Yes, i will.
      Btw, i took the David to a gig yesterday. It was working fine.
      as the two amps have the same issue i would like to have some idea where the issue is likely to occur. But yes, power supply first..
      Last edited by Ballynallytoo; 03-13-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X