Found something hiding in my new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found something hiding in my new amp

Click image for larger version  Name:	80AA180D-3487-4DF7-904E-E3682C24E88F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	955338 Click image for larger version  Name:	0D1CA6C7-8C24-42C3-A7D5-FFE78AF87607.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	955339 I recently picked up a Univox U4100 amp for a great price. Got it home and noticed this external baby speaker cab was inside the cabinet. It fits very snug in the bottom part of the amp cab and it felt like it was made for it. There are two horn speakers with a male 1/4 inch jack plug. There is a cross over built into the horn cabinet.

Weird thing is that there is no external connection on this amp to be able to connect these horns. So the question then became what other amp did these horns work with? So I scoured the internet already and have yet to find anything about this portable horn speaker. Maybe someone here will know what this thing is?
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Click image for larger version  Name:	minimax_catalog.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	955341
    Well, it is supposed to be there. "Optional high frequency horns"

Comment

According to this one, 'plug directly into the speaker terminals'

Click image for larger version

Name:	baby_teeth.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	955344

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Baby Teeth ?? WTF?

Is that where the line came from in "Tonight I'm gonna Rock you tonight"?

Comment

Just what anyone needs to "round out" their bass tone - response to 15,000 cycles (Hertz for us modern folks.) Wow, imma entertain dogs & bats with that!
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            Just what anyone needs to "round out" their bass tone - response to 15,000 cycles (Hertz for us modern folks.) Wow, imma entertain dogs & bats with that!
            I think with the old basses the difference might have been mud vs. sparkling mud.

Comment

I was getting nowhere trying to search for it thanks Glebert! I will look at the chassis again but pretty sure I am going to have to figure out a way to connect the horns. Gotta get that top end outta da bass. I will probably be back right here to ask a few questions no doubt.

Comment

The traditional snorting bass and sparkling highs?
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                  I was getting nowhere trying to search for it thanks Glebert! I will look at the chassis again but pretty sure I am going to have to figure out a way to connect the horns. Gotta get that top end outta da bass. I will probably be back right here to ask a few questions no doubt.
                  If there are no 'spkr out' or 'ext. spkr' jacks on the chassis, it sounds like it probably had spade connectors rather than a 1/4" plug stock, and you just connected to the extra tabs on the speaker?
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

If there are no 'spkr out' or 'ext. spkr' jacks on the chassis, it sounds like it probably had spade connectors rather than a 1/4" plug stock, and you just connected to the extra tabs on the speaker?
                    Actually this thing has a 1/4 male plug on the horn cab. The speaker has only two terminals so it wasn’t ever connected that way. Furthermore the chassis doesn’t have ext. speaker jack. So I am going install a jack but should I wire the horns in series or parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                      So I am going install a jack but should I wire the horns in series or parallel?
                      Parallel. According to that ad, it got plugged straight into the amp's speaker outs, so it would be parallel with any cab. It would need a cap or crossover inside it, which you confirmed in the first post.

Comment

Yup it’s inside the little cab. There are two wires that came loose on the crossover. I’ll figure that out as I go and the crossover is kinda flopping around inside the lil cab. So got to mount it in better. I will report back when I go through the amp.

This amp is going to a 10 year girl who plays a mean double bass and is starting standard electric bass. I am even giving a lifetime free maintenance on the amp too. I would have loved an amp like this when I was 10. The amp I used at 12 was some kind of peavey thing built into a custom cab with a 15” speaker. It too had a horn built in and there was rheostat or some pot that adjusted it. It had thick goofy ass spray painted speckled finish on the cab. But for $75 it was the shit!!

Comment

Oh my. My first bass was a Rickenbacker hollow body. Body not deep. Long neck that weighed more than the body, you had to hold the neck up to play. But oh was it slick, it played itself. I loved it. I had no amp for it, so I used one of those Webcor tape recorders they always had in grade schools. Had a small oval speaker, maybe 4x8" Whatever it lacked in tone, it made up for by not requiring me to have my head against the body to hear myself play.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                            Click image for larger version Name:	minimax_catalog.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	955341
                            Well, it is supposed to be there. "Optional high frequency horns"
                            Interesting. Would make a great rap bass amp speaker, as I think I'd like to hear the subsonic capabilities all the way down to 5 Hz as advertised!

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-21 033328.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	960869
                            Brad1

Comment

So I could use a bit of advice for wiring this crossover on this baby teeth thingy. I have 3 wire from the horns disconnected, 2 green (positive) and 1 black (negative). Only the one black (negative) horn speaker connections is still in place. Where would you place the other 3 wires onto the crossover? I have some ideas how to wire it up but just need further confidence on the issue, thanks.

Name:	xoverWiring.png
Views:	144
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	965580

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	965581

Comment

Working...
                              X