SVT 2 PRO stuck on mute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT 2 PRO stuck on mute

I have an Ampeg SVT 2 PRO on the bench stuck in mute. Mute light is on and won't switch off with the switch. Amp is biased up correctly with green leds and the standby/fault switch lights up green as well. Power stage works fine when plugged into the power amp in jack. I have read this is an issue that others have ran into, but I see no fix anywhere yet. Curious as where to start before I just pull the preamp board out. All solder joints look good but I haven't gotten out the magnifying glass yet.

Here's the schematic. ampeg_svt-2_pro.pdf

The mute circuit is just below the input. First check the mute switch. Then, check Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I tested all components in the mute circuit. Two of the caps didn't test right to me so I replaced those, both .022uf. Switch tests good, cycles on and off on my meter. One of the npns (Q5), and the jfet (Q3) did not test good in circuit but did out of circuit in my cheap component checker. The search goes on.

Comment

What is the base voltage at Q5? (F input)
        Attached Files

Comment

.66V at base of Q5.

Comment

One odd thing I have 16.4V at R101, but the other side is at .1V, so either that resistor is bad or something is pulling the voltage down.

Comment

Find out why Q5 base is high.
              If it's high, then Q5 is On.
              That is Mute.

Comment

'F' to Q5 comes from the footswitch jack. I think oxidized contacts or bad solder could cause this issue.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well wow. That was it.

Comment

Now that is a feature I will call a design oversight.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X