Fender Passport 500 Pro SMPS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Passport 500 Pro SMPS question

Hi, i have a Passport 500 Pro that began making some strange noise and worsen to flashing Line Level leds red and green than no sound.
    I seem like a few members are knowing this amp better than me...

After studying a few threads about this amp i made the following verifications.
    - All the voltages on JA1 connector are OK.
    - D615 is sending 15vdc to U605, should it be 18vdc ?.
    - But i do not have +/- 50vdc at JA2 only +12/-13vdc.
    - Q600 and Q601 are OK.

The amp board and the mixer are disconnected from the SMPS

Should i trick a fake a protection or another signal line to enable the high voltage rails ?

Thanks
    Attached Files

U605 receives 18 V via D615 from transformer winding 16-15.

What kind of weed do the circuit designers at Fender smoke that they come up with such! circuits (just kidding) and substitute the usual designation of TIP31C/TIP32C transistors with a chip designation.

First, check C653, be sure to unsolder it to check. Next, unsolder C655, put a 100-200 ohm resistor in parallel with D627 and observe pulses on pin 6 of U605 with an oscilloscope.
    Last edited by x-pro; 10-04-2023, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Hi, thanks a lot for the hints.
      I have about 15.5 vdc after D612.
      I have removed and check C653, it was reading good but with a small instability so i change it for a new one.
      C655 was 102pf, i let it beside and put a 120ohm 1/2 watt at it's place.

Now proceeding to read U605 pin 6...

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
        Next, unsolder C655, put a 100-200 ohm resistor in parallel with D627 and observe pulses on pin 6 of U605 with an oscilloscope.
        the point is to temporarily disconnect the transformer winding from pin 6 of U605.
        120 ohms not instead of the capacitor, but in parallel with the D627

Comment

Hi, i did power it on and nothing serious on U605 pin 6, AC or DC.
          I do detect positive and negative assimetric spikes of about 250mv, a little stronger on the negative side.​

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	144
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	987367

It's begining to look like a dead UC3844 ?

Comment

do you have a 15-20V 0.5A lab power supply ?

Comment

"a dead UC3844 ?"
              maybe.
              To be sure, you need an external 18V-20V power supply.​

Comment

you can try connecting 2 9V batteries in series
                ------------
                You don't have to do the tambourine dance. Install a new chip at once, if you have one on hand.

Comment

OKI i got it.
                  The idea is to put a load on pin 6 to ground in order to see the output.
                  So C655 removed and D627 bypassed by a 120 ohm 1/4w this time.
                  I still have the same reading, a little more small spike in DC than AC.

​​Click image for larger version

Views:	172
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	987373

Yes i do have a variable power supply, butr is it safer with 2 batteries ?
                  And yes i have an IC on hand.

Comment

Connect a different power source to the U605, without mains power. When were 9V batteries dangerous?

Comment

Hi, about the batteries, i mean probably using batteries IS safer than an AC connected power supply because of grounding issues.
                      The 15v dc line following D615 is powering a lot of components around U605, but is it enough to wake it up ?
                      But if the main power if off, what kind of signal can we expect from this IC ?

Click image for larger version

Views:	168
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	987432

Comment

Connect an external power supply to test the operation of the U605 without the mains power supply.
                        I have indicated this in post #10.
                        15V supply only powers the chip. Other elements connected to it are various protection circuits.​

Neither D608 nor D615 even need to be unsoldered. Connect 15V between pins 7 and 5 of U605.
                        If the chip is good and the surrounding elements are also good, there should be rectangular pulses on pin 6​

Comment

Good day !
                          I change U605 and feed it 15vdc directly to pin 7 and ground to pin 5.
                          Now absolutly no output even the previous spikes have disapeared.
                          I have verified the ground and VCC at the IC pins.
                          And D627 is not short because i read only the 110ohm of the bypass resistor from pin 6 to ground and reverse.

I will begin to look for an obvious short, it must be one of those diodes or transistors around RT/CT, VFB or COMP.

Do i miss something ?

Comment

Okay. Then unsolder Q605

Comment

U605 needs 18V

Comment

Working...
                              X