Wharfedale SPX613 powered mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wharfedale SPX613 powered mixer

I have a Wharfedale SPX 613 powered mixer that seems to be working fine in most areas but on the front panel there is a 1/4" L/monitor out and a 1/4" R/main out (post-EQ) socket(s). The manual says that if you plug in here, then you can add another amp and speakers. There is also a 1/4" Monitor out (pre-EQ) socket near the other two sockets. The manual says that you can plug into this and add another amp and then go to speakers. While I have found some mistakes in the manual, this is a common feature in powered mixers but when I have tried to use these features I get no sound. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong, or could this be faulty?

Something must be wrong with the system you are trying to add or your cables.
    It is not possible to have sound coming out of the Wharfedale speaker outs without signal also being present at the L/monitor out and a 1/4" R/main out jacks. (edit: should have said improbable rather than impossible)
    Please give more info about what you are trying to connect it to.
    Last edited by g1; 03-25-2024, 12:28 AM.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Before I was going from the L/monitor out and the R/main out jacks of the Wharfedale (located on the front panel) into the input of another amp. Overnight I developed a hunch that this is not what you do. So, I tried going from the same Wharfedale outs into the Main Amp A in and Monitor Amp B in of a Yorkville MP8dx powered mixer. Those two jacks being located on the front panel of the MP8dx. This didn't work. But when I shorted the jack lead onto my finger there was that familiar shorting sound coming from the speakers attached to the MP8dx. When I then tried to reverse the system, MP8dx line out and line out to Wharfedale power amp in left and right jacks... it did work. So, what do you think I have wrong or is possibly faulty?

Comment

When you have the speakers directly connected to the Wharfedale, do you still get proper volume level output if you go in to one of the regular channel inputs? (not using MP8DX at all)
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If speakers are connected at the rear of the Wharfedale and an input is used on the front panel, say a mic, all is good.

Comment

That leaves very little to be bad in the main/mon out circuits. Either the jacks themselves or a couple resistors or IC feeding them perhaps.
            Try asking for the schematic in the 'schematic requests' section of the forum, maybe someone has a copy.

Comment

So, I read the manual a few more times and, very briefly, it says the Main master controls the volume of these jacks when in stereo mode and the Monitor master controls the volume of the L when in mono mode and the Main master controls the volume of the R when in mono mode. I thought this strange as the manual says these outs can go to an amplifier(s) etc. I thought the outputs should be line level if they can go to amps. Now, as this is a similar feature on many powered mixers, I read the MP8dx manual. It said when using these front outputs, it doesn't matter if the rear panel speakers are connected or not. So, I thought disconnect them and plug them into the front outs of the Wharfedale. Music came out! But remember the confusion came about when I connected the front outs to an amp, and there was no sound. So, WTF is the manual on about? There have been many grammatical and other types of misleading info, so why not a blatant mistake in this manual. Anyway. I then thought of plugging a speaker back into the rear panel. Big mistake. Just as the jack entered a very loud, feedback like sound that sent the LEDs clipping and had me soiling my pants was generated. So, no more trying that again. Still doesn't explain why I had no sound from my first try with the MP8dx involved. I would have thought the Wharfedale would have acted like a very powerful pre-amp. But like I said I got no sound. Bottom line is, I got good noise and there was nothing broken from the start or damaged after all this (but my undies).

Comment

Seems it's not quite the same as the MP8dx. But why have this feature if you cannot connect front and rear panel speakers at the same time? Do I have more to learn?

Comment

The front of the Wharfedale has line level outs (L,R or main/mon), but also power amp IN's. You should have connected the MP8 line outs to the pwr.amp IN's on the Wharfedale. In post #3 that is what you say you did.
                  You can use the line outs at the same time you are using the speaker outs.
                  It's best to make connections with the unit turned off, to avoid loud noises like what you got. Especially at power amp outputs.

In any case, I think what I said in post #6 still stands.

Comment

What's stopping you from using a normal document? Everything is described, specified, drawn and even a wiring diagram of the signals is given here, on page 17.
                    https://roxton-rus.ru/FILE/files/wha...spx815_335.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X