Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XR1212 powered mixer SMPS problem

Hi,

I hope someone with more knowledge of SMPS or experience of this particular mixer can help.

I'm trying to repair a Peavey XR1212 powered mixer.
    Symptom is that when switched on, the LED's all light up, then a click is heard and the unit is dead.
    I've had some success in the past with fixing SMPS, but no luck on this one.
    It has a class D power amp on the same board, with a ribbon cable going off to the mixer section.
    I can't find any shorts on any of the output rails, or electrolytic caps.
    I've tried replacing the little temporary power supply cap which kickstarts the driver chip, as I know these sometimes fail.
    Interestingly, if I unplug the ribbon cable to the mixer, and power on, the relay will click a couple of times, but then hold in. I can then hear a regular, very quiet ticking, as the SMPS is attempting to start, and a mosfet (Q5) and MJM317 (U2) (which were physically bolted together) get rapidly very hot. I luckily have a thermal imager, which is handy sometimes.
    I've also replaced these two and IC13, as it's close and associated with the circuit.
    No luck though, the symptoms persist. I don't really understand enough about SMPS to be able to work out why these devices are getting so hot, so hopefully someone can guide me.
    I think I've attached the schematic correctly - here's hoping.

Ewan
    Attached Files

Check C3, C34, C7, C24. It is better to replace with new ones!
    Check the nominal value of R1047(0.2), R81(10).
    Check D20, D30, D29, D35.​

Comment

Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

I've tested those components - the resistors and diodes are all fine.
        The caps measure good for ESR, but high for capacitance. Measured in-circuit, so maybe that's why. I've ordered replacements for all those caps anyway.
        Thanks again

Comment

These elements are not necessarily the cause of the malfunction. The device is not a simple device. There may be many causes, or there may be only one.
          After installing the new elements, if there is no good response, we will look further.​

Comment

Thanks, I understand this. SMPS is hard to diagnose. You kind of need it to work, so you can diagnose why it doesn't work!

Comment

OK, I have replaced C3, C34, C7, C24, and tested those diodes and resistors. Still no luck - symptoms are the same.
              What is best to try next?

Thanks.

Comment

I've tested for DC on the secondary side. I get some readings for a second before the relay trips. I get around +- 64V on the 80V rails and +- 24V on the 30V rails. Across C74 I get +17V and I get about 9V across C28, so I guess at least that side of things is reasonably healthy ?

Comment

Anyone?
                  Seems such a shame to throw an otherwise good mixer in the bin.

Comment

on C28 it should be 18v

Comment

This is the same power amp module that is in the Peavey XR8600D that I'm still troubleshooting. I found that the power will cycle if I did not have the four Faston connectors plugged in that connect to the Speakon output jack board.

Comment

Working...
                      X