Square LED footswitch light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square LED footswitch light?

Where can I buy a red LED light for a Fender footswitch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	footswitch.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	923108

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    Where can I buy a red LED light for a Fender footswitch?
    I'm sure you'd like to find the exact item. But here's a hack solution I've used. Works OK as long as the plastic body of the square LED is intact. I park a regular LED behind or next to the defunct LED, superglue in place, wire it in, the light shines thru and yes Bob's yer uncle.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Mouser, Digikey, and others have square LED's. Just do a search. You'll just need to measure the size.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Agree. square LEDs are quite common at any supplier, just measure size. Mouser and Digikey are great, but for some reason I always checked Jameco when shopping LEDs.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Possible source for original part.
          Not cheap but fast service.

https://darrenriley.com

Comment

I usually order parts from Antique Electronic Supply. They usually have what I need. I don't mind paying a little more because of convenience and they are geared toward amp repair. They did not have the LEDs.

I poked around the interweb and found a company called Sound Studio Electronics that had exactly what I wanted. I am glad I looked because now I have another source for parts.

https://www.amprepairparts.com/lamps.htm

Comment

I checked my inventory, still have those parts in the closable bag they came in. Bought them from Newark Electronics...Multicomp P/N MCL293SRD 5mm Square Red LED. Newark is currently out of stock....here's the link to that: https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pro...?ost=mcl293srd

This source is a pirate, but claims to have them: https://www.realcomponents.com/resul...SAAEgLvkPD_BwE

Data Sheet: MULTICOMP MCL293SRD Square RED LED.pdf

I have ten of these on hand, so if you strike out looking for inventory, PM me and I could let you have a few. I bought 20 pcs back on 5/5/15, and cost me $12.14 w/shpg.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by sgelectric View Post
                Possible source for original part.
                Not cheap but fast service.

https://darrenriley.com
                I checked here, and while not seeing the RED square LED, they do have the RED/GRN 3-leaded LED, P/N 0033177000....not cheap...$5.79 ea, but...OUT OF STOCK
                Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

nevetslab,

Thanks for the offer. I ordered from Studio Sound Electronics (www.amprepairparts.com).

Comment

LED installed footswitch works great. Can anyone explain to me how a 2 conductor cable can operate 4 switches? Also I found out that the LED is important to the circuitry. If the LED is broken then that switch will no longer work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9436.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	923486

Comment

The circuit works via "seeing" the voltage drop of an arrangement of LED's and zener diodes that are switched in and out in the footswitch. It's sort of like a resistor ladder, only with diodes.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Not only that, but in some of the circuits the COLOR of the LED matters, because the voltage drop across a red LED and a green LED are different.

We have discussed the switching circuit in detail elsewhere, but basically, we put an AC voltage on the footswitch jack, then the diodes and LEDs in the pedal rectify to one polarity or other, and in more complex pedals, zeners alter the resulting DC levels, and in the amp, comparator circuits determine which function was triggered. SO yes, we can have a half dozen different circuits controlled on a single wire.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                        X