X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys
    so this repair is done.
    in the end 3 transistors blew. From left looking at board
    rhe first one of that set of 4. Then the last two on The right side. I promise in the future to read of schematic so I apologize for that.
    long story short, my multi meter is not accurate or just a pos so I was wrong on a few tests. My tech took the time and tested both boards for me once again, I owe him big for this.. no charge just a good chat and fun stories.

ac cord replaced
    emitters were good except for one had a crack, it tested good but it got replaced.
    The transistors were replaced with 70484140 which from my understanding are direct peavey replacement.

I came home and installed the parts then went back later with the unit and he brought it up on his variac. Hung out and chatted for about a hour while it got nice and warm. The we connected a pair of cabs(yes dc voltage was checked) and listen to Phil collins at a pretty loud volume (3 on master and 3 on aux) and I have to admit, this thing sounds nice.
    I’ve had it going now for about a hour or so and all is well.
    so it’s alive and that’s that. In the near future I am going to purchase the mj15003G’s and replace all for new and completely replace everything on the board and then recap the other board. I’m sure it could use it after 40 years. But for now it’s 100% functional and working properly.

Total cost $42
    gas to the shop $5
    a hour of great chat and stories with a veteran tech, such a amazing man.

if you’re ever in Neenah,wi and need something fixed quickly or vintage parts he’s the man.

Carl Garrow - Amps & Electronics
    Island Music Neenah,WI tel:920-725-9000

Comment

A big thank you to everyone that had input for this project. I couldn’t have done this without you. Cheers

I have a original transistors that was in this unit as a a extra. Motorola SJ6357 If anyone need it to fix there xr600 let me know, it’s really no use to me.

Deenah

Comment

Glad you were able to get some help on this one. Don't hesitate to come back and visit when you decide to recap. But if the amp is working fine, the only thing you might need to do is clean the pots and jacks, etc. There are YouTube videos for that.
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Thanks Tom, I will definitely be back for assistance. What do I use to clean the exterior of this unit?

I’m going to start researching to get caps so if you know where I should start. I’ve never did a recap before so this is new to me.
          I understand the reading on the caps but from what I’ve read, changing caps sometimes also changes the sound ??. Correct me if I’m wrong on this. Anyway, it’s going to be 87 degrees here today and I took the day off to enjoy it.

have a great day

Comment

If the unit is working fine there isn't much reason to change the caps. Unneeded work = chance something gets screwed up.

Comment

^^^^^^ That!
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hey
                so I had the chance to really open it up today. For a couple hours I cranked it up and zero issues. I’m impressed with it. I love the eq on this thing, reminds me of the Mesa boogie bass amplifier eq. I can get the highs so crispy it makes me smile. after a good cleaning it looks like new. Cleaned the knobs, exterior, and repaired a slight crack in the top vent. I was worried that the pots were dirty but amazingly enough they are all quiet. Master had a crackle but working it a bit it’s gone. So I’m down to cleaning the input jacks and repairing a small tear in the outer fabric… I have no clue what you call the outside stuff. Since this unit is working so well I’m going to take the words of you guys and leave the caps alone.

I put it head to head with my Denon receiver today. I’ll let you guys guess who won.

Comment

We call the outside vinyl covering "tolex" usually. Tolex is a brand name, while the actual stuff on any amp could be a different brand. Just as we refer to facial tissue as Kleenex often.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Deenahrae View Post
                    I was worried that the pots were dirty but amazingly enough they are all quiet.
                    Had the same thought - OMG every control is gonna crackle - and that's a long tedious job to do. Lucky, you dodged that bullet!

Time was, decades back, I had little appreciation for the Peavey "six-pack" mixer/amp. I have revised my opinion since then. It's a tool that does the job for small gigs, and does it pretty well. In fact I now own one and it comes in handy on occasion. Very nice to have the patch jacks so you can apply external sound processing like fancier EQ's, compressor/limiter, DDL, digital reverb, etc.

Glad to see you have this sorted and welcome aboard MEF!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

When I was on the road back in like 1969-1973 or thereabouts, I would have killed for an XR600. Hell I looked up to the guys with Shure Vocal Master PAs.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                      X