Kill popping during shutoff of SS Marshall 5010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaron View Post
    BTW, if this is a clue, the pop occurs a second AFTER I turn off the amp.
    Now, that's a different story. Means that the pop is not directly related to the switch contacts opening, so a snubber won't help.
    Looks like a problem induced by the supply voltages decaying.

Do not start a new thread.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

From a theoretical POV, I'm very curious as to why my snubber circuit that I added not only didn't work, but also served to bypass the on/off switch...
      Impossible to say without seeing all connections to switch both with and without snubber circuit.
      Unless the X2 parts measure shorted, that would do it.

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Now, that's a different story. Means that the pop is not directly related to the switch contacts opening, so a snubber won't help.
        Looks like a problem induced by the supply voltages decaying.

Do not start a new thread.
        Yes, it seems like a decay issue....but I'm clueless as to why that would happen...

Comment

I forgot that I added the fuses to the schematic when I drew up the 5010 78-2 PCB version, I did it so I could make up my own PCB in case I wanted to build one.
          You are correct that the fuses should not be in your amp
          The story and files are here:
          https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...topic=35555.20
          https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?t...;topicseen#new

Comment

Originally posted by Tassieviking View Post
            I forgot that I added the fuses to the schematic when I drew up the 5010 78-2 PCB version, I did it so I could make up my own PCB in case I wanted to build one.
            You are correct that the fuses should not be in your amp
            The story and files are here:
            https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...topic=35555.20
            https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?t...;topicseen#new
            Thanks for the links, read them all.

BTW, since you seem to be an expert on this amp, I am getting a high pitched squeal when presence, pre, and master volumes are cranked up.....
            Any ideas how to fix it?
            thanks!

Comment

I am getting a high pitched squeal when presence, pre, and master volumes are cranked up.....
              Cranked full? Are those the settings you use when playing? I would expect it to squeal under those conditions.

Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, it seems like a decay issue....but I'm clueless as to why that would happen...
                The voltage on one of the supply rails is perhaps dropping far more rapidly than the other at switch-off, so produces a momentary DC offset on the output due to the imbalance. My first though is to check the condition of the main PSU capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post

The voltage on one of the supply rails is perhaps dropping far more rapidly than the other at switch-off, so produces a momentary DC offset on the output due to the imbalance. My first though is to check the condition of the main PSU capacitors.
                  Thanks, will do!

Comment

Aaron, I am not an expert on any amp unfortunately, I am just an ex electrician who worked mainly with industrial electronics.
                    I don't work as an electrician any more because of all the narcotic painkillers I have to take every day, my choice to stop working as I feel it's not right.
                    I am good at reading, following and tracing schematics as I have done it most of my life as a hobby and for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassieviking View Post
                      Aaron, I am not an expert on any amp unfortunately, I am just an ex electrician who worked mainly with industrial electronics.
                      I don't work as an electrician any more because of all the narcotic painkillers I have to take every day, my choice to stop working as I feel it's not right.
                      I am good at reading, following and tracing schematics as I have done it most of my life as a hobby and for a living.
                      OK, well, you fooled me!
                      Hope you have a complete recovery free from pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post

I second this, I have come across this problem and it was because of a difference in the capacitors of the + and - supplies. One cap was open.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post

I second this, I have come across this problem and it was because of a difference in the capacitors of the + and - supplies. One cap was open.
                          OK, thanks! I only checked one, and since they both looked good, I assumed the other was also good.....

BTW, I don't know if this is significant, but when I measured the voltages at the op amp IC1458, the voltage at pin 8 was +13.4 VDC, and at pin 4, it was -13.3 VDC.
                          Also, when I had DVM lead on pin 4, it made the high vol/gain/presence squealing much louder.....

Comment

Working...
                          X