Board pristine, jacks rotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board pristine, jacks rotten

I am working on a GK Backline 210 amp. The PC boards are pristine. Everything looks brand new. However, the jacks are rotten! Lots of corrosion. No other parts are corroded.

My theory is that either 1) the plasticizer in the plastic parts of the jacks off-gassed and rotted the copper OR 2) someone cleaned the jacks with some sort of corrosive chemical.

I have never seen this isolated corrosion before. Have you?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3628.jpg Views:	0 Size:	814.0 KB ID:	981083

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	989.1 KB ID:	981084

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	811.5 KB ID:	981085

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3629.jpg Views:	0 Size:	909.7 KB ID:	981086

Last edited by Axtman; 04-20-2023, 10:12 PM.

Looks like someone grabbed a can of Electra Clean that had a non plastic safe formula, not all electrical cleaners are plastic safe.
    I once saw a supervisor walk into the maintenance workshop and grab a can of electric cleaner and spray his calculator, it melted in his hand and dripped to the floor.

Comment

It's interesting that the plastic IEC receptacle next to one of the bad jacks is not affected.
      I've never seen anything quite like that.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

As I said previously the other components look just fine. The only damage is to the jacks. The jack to the left of the corroded jack on the power board looks okay, but I may remove it to investigate.

I ordered new replacement jacks. As I was removing the old nasty jacks I did notice some damage to some of the solder masking and possibly some of the traces below. I will test the traces before installing the new jacks. The board is double sided which can be tricky. I hope I did not damage anything removing the jacks.

Comment

I am going with the theory that someone cleaned the jacks with a cleaner that was not plastic (or copper) safe.

Comment

Working...
          X