Eden Traveler 550 lights on nobody home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eden Traveler 550 lights on nobody home

I recently got an Eden Traveler 550 bass amp head from a guitar store to repair. The indicator light switch light up when turned on but the amp was dead.

As Dave Jones of the EEVblog says, "Though shalt first check voltages." There was no voltage at the power transformer's secondaries. I then checked the primaries and also no voltage. I chased my tail a bit checking the power switch and thinking the different primaries (100v, 120v, 220v, 240v) may have been wired wrong. There were telltale signs I was not the only one to have been inside the amp.

Finally I found squirreled away behind the transformer a triac (Q6025P5). (Boy Eden sure likes to put 10lbs of potatoes in a 8lb sack!) I tested the triac and it was faulty. I jumpered the two anodes and the amp sprang back to life. I put in a Q4025 as a test and the amp worked. So I ordered a new part from Antique Electronics.

I am really shocked that a 600v 25A part would fail. To me that seems like the part has a huge safety factor of 3x. Maybe there was an electrical spike or something.

Here is the offender!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3746.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	704.4 KB
ID:	982413

and it's hiding spot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3747.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	982414

Comment

And of course the triac is not indicated on the schematic!

I understand the reason for using a triac. That is to control a large amount of current with a small current. I have seen triacs on massive old Peavey PA amps where a small power switch could not control the capacity of the amp inrush current.

Comment

Working...
      X