Is this too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too good to be true?

I just found this e-bay sellers store and his prices seem way too good to be true!!!!! I'm sure that a lot of the tubes are pulls from a recycling center or something like that but still, if the tubes are testing like he clames than they are a great deal. Has anyone here ever bought from this guy?

http://myworld.ebay.com/clean_audio_sound

jaydawg

Well, you know, people leave their feedback few days after reception, therefor, can't realy trust feedback, imho. To me a guy who advertises a Yugoslavian tube as USSR sounds fishy And new old stock/new in box with the logo and writing on the tube worn off too

Comment

I'd be concerned that he knows all the geek terms - D getter, pinch waist, etc. - but he's only been selling under that name since June. Where's he been? He's also got some very angry negatives and neutrals there, although there are few of them. It makes me suspect that he had a run of bad feedbacks, and changed his nick.

On the other hand, I could only find one reference to him at the Audio
      Asylum site, and it was positive - and from one of the regular posters.

Buyer beware.

Comment

Seller seems to be doing OK. Only 4 neg feedbacks out of over 1000 unique and 1600+ total and two were in short order from the same inexperienced ebayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          Seller seems to be doing OK. Only 4 neg feedbacks out of over 1000 unique and 1600+ total and two were in short order from the same inexperienced ebayer.

I'd be careful about negative feedbacks from a volume seller. Many sellers refuse to post a feedback until they receive one, so they are in a position to extort positive feedbacks from buyers who do few deals. So you can expect that actual negs underestimate actual bad deals. I can't read minds, but I hesitate to buy from a seller with multiple recent negative or neutral feedbacks, no matter how many positives he's had. But that's just me.

Comment

I agree with Mark. I've been stung a couple of times by 2000+ +ve feedback sellers who have suddenly developed a few neutrals and negs over the past month or so. It's usually down to them buying a job lot of ropey stuff, which they know is crap generally, and trying to pass it off as their normal quality to get rid of it, in the hope that no-one will notice.

I'm also a bit wary of sellers who have feedback that indicates sales of some other type of item. There's one notorious UK seller who sells Model Railway/Railroad stuff for ridiculously cheap prices. At first glance he has nearly 10,000 positive feedback. Until you dig a bit and discover that nearly all the negatives are for items of that kind. And nearly all the positives are for Teddy Bears and other collectables. Sharing an account with his wife, you think??
            So B+ is the one that hurts when you touch it, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoe_N_Iain View Post
              ...And nearly all the positives are for Teddy Bears and other collectables. Sharing an account with his wife, you think??
              Yea that happened to me once.
              But did you actualy look at the feedback of the seller we are discussing? I read it more like a cas of a nutty buyer or one with unrealistic expectations buying used tubes that were stated to be low on the tester.

Anyway... It doesn't really matter to me. I don't have anything to gain or loose either way and I don't know the seller. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

Comment

I wasn't dissing the seller, in this case. It's entirely possible for you to get some nutter who will hammer you with negative feedback for no apparent reason. Ask any seller of classic car parts! Some people want it cheap, fast, nearly free and with a gold clock as a bonus. However, we all live on planet Earth...
                So B+ is the one that hurts when you touch it, yeah?

Comment

Thank you guys for your feedback. We'll see how good his tube are. I went and bought a pair of RCA 6V6's from him. For $30 I think its worth finding out. When they get here I'll put them on the tester and see just how good they are. I'll give you guys a review then.

Thanks,
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jaydawg View Post
                    Thank you guys for your feedback. We'll see how good his tube are. I went and bought a pair of RCA 6V6's from him. For $30 I think its worth finding out. When they get here I'll put them on the tester and see just how good they are. I'll give you guys a review then.

Thanks,
                    Jason

What happened with these tubes?

Comment

I finally got the tubes the other day. Shipping time was fine and they were packed well. Both tube test good on my heathkit tube tester, 90 and 100 on a 1-100 scale. I have not tried them as a pair yet, but I have tried them one at a time in my homebrew tweed princeton. They both sound GREAT. I've been playing the heck out of that little amp the last couple of days. Over all I'm happy with the tubes. Even if they are not matched (I'll put them in my deluxe and check soon), you can't beat 2 JAN RCA 6V6's in good shape for under $30.

Comment

Good to hear. I just bought 7 NOS tubes on ebay, and one of them had a scorch mark on the inside of the tube. A close look revealed a crack at the seam of the plate, where electrons were getting out. At 3 dollars per tube, it wasn't worth dealing with, so I just kept it. Ya pays ya money, and ya takes, ya chance.

Comment

Matched

Originally posted by jaydawg View Post
                          I finally got the tubes the other day. Shipping time was fine and they were packed well. Both tube test good on my heathkit tube tester, 90 and 100 on a 1-100 scale. I have not tried them as a pair yet, but I have tried them one at a time in my homebrew tweed princeton. They both sound GREAT. I've been playing the heck out of that little amp the last couple of days. Over all I'm happy with the tubes. Even if they are not matched (I'll put them in my deluxe and check soon), you can't beat 2 JAN RCA 6V6's in good shape for under $30.
                          I like guitar amp tubes to not be perfectly matched.
                          More even order harmonics are produced.
                          As long as they don't hum {60 cycle} they're good.
                          You'de be surprised how far off they can be and still sound good.
                          Of course if you're looking for the most power/cleanest sounds a perfectly matched set is the way to go.
                          YMMV

Comment

Working...
                          X