What to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do

i want to replace my 6l6s in my pv valveking.
    i want the most power and heaviest distortion i can get.
    and i'm sure that this is a common newbie desire.
    i know i must sacrifice something, but thats why im asking. cause i have no idea and all....
    appreciate any help.

Hi flapjack.
    Replacing output tubes is not magically turning your amplifier into somethig absolutely different, as many tube vendors often seem to imply.
    *If* the ones you have today are worn or dying , ok, replace them with new, good ones, which basically will restore the amp to original, factory spec conditions.
    If you want heavier, brutal distortion, as you seem to imply, start searching for good pedals, there are quite a few awesome sounding if you look around.
    Please don't start "modding" your amp before you know very well what you are doing.
    Good luck.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'm almost prone to say that more power and heavy distortion excludes each other as long as power tubes are the point.
      More powerful tubes stay clean longer than less powerful tubes generally spoken.
      I agree a pedal would be the best choice.

Comment

Yup, big clean tubes and a pedal... Or an amp mod to get more distortion in the preamp AND cleaner/louder power tubes.

And don't ignore the option of more effecient speakers. You can increase loudness A LOT with effecient speakers. For example: A 20 watt amp is about 3db less loud than a 50 watt amp. If the 50 watt amp was using a 2x12 cab and the speakers had an efficiency of 98db (very common) and the 20 watt amp were also running through a 2x12 cabinet but with speakers that had an efficiency of 101db, the 20 watt rig would be as loud as the 50 watt rig. As long as you like the tone there's a lot to be said for efficient speakers. So you could buy power tubes that break up more AND run efficient speakers and end up a little louder AND a little more crunchy. That is, if your current speakers aren't already very efficient.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X