Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is cathode bias the same thing as "self" bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a valid point. Cathode/self bias doesn't work very well with Class-AB amps. Every excursion into Class-B causes the bias voltage to pump around. Nevertheless guitar amps are commonly built that way.

Hence the reason for the Chuck H Ruby Mod mod that puts a zener across the cathode resistor, you can think of it as a halfway house between fixed and cathode bias.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Hence the reason for the Chuck H Ruby Mod mod that puts a zener across the cathode resistor, you can think of it as a halfway house between fixed and cathode bias.
      That's interesting. When the tube approaches cutoff the cathode resistor voltage is at a maximum, the zener doesn't allow it beyond a rated voltage...

Just found this thread: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t17903/

Thanks Chuck H. And Steve Conner for citing it. One more piece of knowledge gained over morning coffee.
      Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
        It is a valid point. Cathode/self bias doesn't work very well with Class-AB amps. Every excursion into Class-B causes the bias voltage to pump around. Nevertheless guitar amps are commonly built that way.

Another way to minimize this issue is to use separate cathode resistors, and huge caps.
        Almost the sound of a fixed-bias, little less power of course (just like a "regular" cathode biased amp), but no need to use matched tubes, and very little compression.
        The Paul's trick if i remember well is aimed against the "18 watts fiziness", witch can also be related to the OT's impedance (see Zobel and conjunctive filters)
        Last edited by kleuck; 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X