New production 12AX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    I guess it can come down to how many db you consider relevant (or irrelevant).
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]33255[/ATTACH]

That graph comes from the following article. Some of the contents are debatable, but I don't have a problem with that graph.
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_...ent_made_tubes
    km6xz is right in his response to this graph if the bandwidth is considered, but not quite right when it comes to tubes in audio equipment. Try altering a eq setting by 3dB at some frequency and hear for your self. So, if we hear a slight change in tone when we replace tubes it's most likely because there is a slight change in tone. Even so a tube might be in specification when it comes to bandwidth.
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

For tubes with differences like that to sound exactly the same in an amp would require that every other part in the circuit have a perfectly flat linear response to both clean and distorted signals.
      Otherwise they can not sound identical.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        Crappy sounding is 100% subjective and everybody has his own standard, meaning there is no standard.

But :
        * whistling
        * howling
        * hissing
        * popping
        * ticking
        * clanking

are ALL measurable; easily and with precision (and repeatably, I might add).

And your test gear will clearly show the differences.

Don't compare pears to oranges.
        Test gear stuck on either side of my head works pretty fast and accurate to weed out the unacceptable ones, no need to prove it with lab tests.

Pears? Oranges? stick 'em in the blender, add some rum, all is good! AH, to your health !
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I wonder why I waste so much time here.

Maybe I'm a masochist after all.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X