Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eico HF-20 50's 6L6 UL HIFI amp, convert for guitar or just try to sell it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eico HF-20 50's 6L6 UL HIFI amp, convert for guitar or just try to sell it?

Hi,

It's original, all there, works great and still has vintage US made tubes. I got it to convert for guitar, but I'm having second thoughts because it seems like there is still at least some demand for these. If you want to know a little more about them, here's an article (which links a schematic) about using this amp in monoblock pairs for hifi: Article: Easy Way to turn the Eico HF-20 into a Monoblock

It seems kind of sad to to hack up a pristine old amp like this if hifi people still want to use them. I would expect them to feel about the same way I would if people were going around turning old guitar amps into doorbells or intercoms or something. I have looked around on ebay and found other Eico amps asking several hundred dollars, or over $1000 in working pairs, as well as a broken or sketchy looking untested HF-20s asking for $100-200, but I have no idea if anyone really pays these prices.

Do you guys think this makes sense to convert for guitar, or should it be allowed to live on as a hifi amp?

Does anyone here think this is worth trying to sell, or know what a sensible price would be?

Thanks

ebay has an option in the left sidebar for completed listings as well as sold listings. Check the box for either one to learn what people are paying for any item and whether it's in demand or not so much

Comment

Wow, thanks. I can't believe I never noticed that before :facepalm:

It looks like these sell regularly for $200-$250 in "as is" condition "for restoration", etc, with minimal/power-on-only testing. That seems like the sane way to sell something like this without major hassles I guess.

So is it mean to hack up an old hifi amp?

FWIW, I was thinking of converting it to a 5F2A with switch for ultralinear/tetrode mode. Maybe the extra tube could be a buffered effects loop...

Comment

That "completed listings" button is an eye-opener, innit? Some of our friends over on Audio Asylum might jump at the chance to buy your Eico, even better if it's in very good shape. They have their own "Trader" for-sale area, but you have to be a paying member, $25 minimum. I think you get 25 ads for a $25 membership but don't quote me on that. Handy in case you have other odds n ends to flog. Might be worth it, consider Ebay/Paypal will skin you for that much if you get $250 for it, and you only get to run one ad for the money. At AA you'll be advertising to the choir rather than every tire kicker & tomato squeezer in the universe.

With so many rusty dusty old Dynacos around to modify - I'd find one of those.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
        X