6CA7 Current Draw Increases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6CA7 Current Draw Increases

I'm testing a pair of Sylvania 6CA7's for a friend of mine. On my Eico 667 they both test fine. When I put them in an amp and set the bias one of them slowly, like over 5 minutes, starts to increase in current draw. It will go from say 30mA to 60mA at idle. The problem follows the tube not the amp or socket. I realize the tube is bad but I'm curious as to what causes that to happen. Thanks.

Dave

I've seen that before.

Not too sure what is going on in the tube but that is one of the items on my check list when testing a tube in circuit.
    If the idle current creeps up like that I consider the tube junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Daver View Post
      I'm testing a pair of Sylvania 6CA7's for a friend of mine. On my Eico 667 they both test fine. When I put them in an amp and set the bias one of them slowly, like over 5 minutes, starts to increase in current draw. It will go from say 30mA to 60mA at idle. The problem follows the tube not the amp or socket. I realize the tube is bad but I'm curious as to what causes that to happen. Thanks.

Dave
      Actually, so am I....I am curious as well....that is a big difference...

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
        Actually, so am I....I am curious as well....that is a big difference...
        There is a discussion in the deep archives on the subject at Thermal Runaway - AMPAGE Forum

Comment

Gas increases with heat and time, and increases plate current in fixed bias circuits. Does your tester have a Gas function?

Comment

Thanks, Tom, that does explain a lot. Maybe not how this particular tube is affected, but a good discussion all around.

km6xz, my Eico doesn't have a gas test. I have an old Mercury drug store style tester that does. The tube doesn't test positive for gas on it, but I'm not sure how accurate that one is.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X