Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Widow makers with an isolation transformer

Hello All,

I've decided to install an isolation transformer in my vintage Kustom Kraft 600 tube amp. Its a 'widowmaker' 3 tube amp with a 12au6, 35w4, and 50c5. The chassis is isolated from the line but the heaters are not. If a heater to cathode short would happen then the line would be connected to the chassis and therefore the guitar strings. I really don't wan't to chance it.

I sized the transformer by measuring the line current with a full volume signal going into an 8 ohm dummy load. If I remember correctly the current was the same regardless of the volume. I guess this makes sense right, since the amp is class A. I think the line current was something like 350 mA. So 350 mA x 115 volts = 40 VA. I have a 50 VA on order from newark electronics for $18. My question is this, can anyone help me with how I would go about calculating the power requirements of an amplifier if I were to attempt to design one in the future.

Thanks,

Dave

Originally posted by Daven View Post
    Hello All,

I've decided to install an isolation transformer in my vintage Kustom Kraft 600 tube amp. Its a 'widowmaker' 3 tube amp with a 12au6, 35w4, and 50c5. The chassis is isolated from the line but the heaters are not. If a heater to cathode short would happen then the line would be connected to the chassis and therefore the guitar strings. I really don't wan't to chance it.
    Excellent decision, way to go

I sized the transformer by measuring the line current with a full volume signal going into an 8 ohm dummy load. If I remember correctly the current was the same regardless of the volume. I guess this makes sense right, since the amp is class A. I think the line current was something like 350 mA. So 350 mA x 115 volts = 40 VA. I have a 50 VA on order from newark electronics for $18.
    Sounds very reasonable.
    My question is this, can anyone help me with how I would go about calculating the power requirements of an amplifier if I were to attempt to design one in the future.

Thanks,

Dave
    You can add filament consumption to tube plate current plus preamp consumption and add a reasonable safety factor, say 50% exra ... or you can plain measure it as you did successfully

Never used it, but maybe Power Supply Designer includes such a case.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
    X