Real Reissue KT66's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Reissue KT66's

I'm getting so tired of reading the hyped puke manufacturers and distributors write about their tubes.

Does anyone know if any of the current-stock KT66's out there are truly based on the original Genalex design, and not just a repackaged 6L6? I'm assuming any tube that has the amazing ability to be 100% compatible in any 6L6 amp with a draw of 0.9ma is just a rebottled 6L6.

I'm also open to any completely subjective opinions about these tubes...as long as it's not the manufacturer's blurbs being regurgitated

Tim

...short answer is "no," just some are LESS far from the original specs than others.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 11-11-2007, 01:08 AM.
    ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

As Old Tele Man infers, it's probably a bit optimistic to expect any tube made in a different factory, in a different country, decades after the original to sound EXACTLY like the "real" thing. But AFAIK it is only the new Sovtek/New Sensor/Tung Sol KT66 (6L6 in a big bottle) that claims to be a "drop in" replacement, the JJ, TAD & Harma/GTKT66HP (Reflector) all draw 1.3A of heater current.

I've had good experiences with the Harma/GTKT66HP (they sound like a KT66, rather than a 6L6 - smooth, round, relaxed hi end). I have a JJ KT66 in my Champ at the minute, but as availability is intermittent (round here at least) for the GT/Harma, I haven't had the chance to compare directly. I am not rich enough to compare directly with a GEC but check out the Watford Valves 6L6 test report from 2005.

Comment

I have a set of original GEC KT66's in one of my amps,and have compared the Sovtek and Tung-Sol's and they dont come close.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I did a little more research on my own. Of course there are no real KT66's being produced any more, but I had a short exchange from Doug at Doug's tubes, and it seems the Chinese tubes are probably the closest current-production thing out there. I've heard the GT's are pretty good too.

Doug also has some Russians out of the Saratov plant that are supposed to be darn close. I think pretty much everything else out there is a 6L6. I think the JJ's are probably closer to a 6L6.

Comment

The GT and Harma tubes are from the Saratov (Reflector) factory in Russia. This is the same factory that makes the Sovtek/Tung Sol KT66, but the GTHP & Harma are only availble via GT & Watford Valves.

The JJ is relatively new.

If the GTHP/Harma sounds "pretty darn close" and the Chinese tube is "closest current production" why isn't it "real"? I doubt that it would be identical wherever it was made.

Undoubtedly the GECs are the thing to have but NOS prices are not realistic for your average musician.

Comment

Yeah Doug has some GEC's for sale too. At $100 a pop and four sockets to fill, I think I'll go with the copies.

Comment

And the ones Doug has are used.Imagine finding 4 that are matched.I got lucky and found a NOS pair of GEC's at a flea market for $100-I'm sure it'll be the last pair that amp sees.They are way out of control,$400+ a pair,and I've seen people pay $300 for a single on ebay.

Comment

Low Power Twin

I'm runnin' a pair of those chinese {shuguang} ones in a Low Power Tweed Twin.

They sound and look nice.

JJ

Comment

Ratings?

I'm running a pair of Shuguang KT66's in a JTM45 I built for a customer and we're getting 500vdc on the high side of a low-high switchable B+ arrangement and I'm a little nervous about these tubes even though I have 1K
                    screen resistors right off the rail. The original had a 1K common resistor and a 470R for each screen. Does anyone know the plate and screen voltage ratings for these babies?

Comment

Too Much

These tubes are 25w tubes.
                      They won't take what a modern 6L6 (30w) tube will take.
                      I'm running them in cathode bias at 400v/40ma.

JJ

Comment

Working...
                      X