Crate V16 new tubes and speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate V16 new tubes and speaker

New to forum, but would appreciate any advice regarding new tubes for Crate V16 amp (3-12AX7, 2-EL84), as well as a new 12" speaker. I play music along the lines of Jayhawks, Old 97's, etc., so bluesy/country is where I'm looking to end up. Also, can you suggest a good "dummy" guide to tube amps? Thanks in advance.

Huh

That's too general of a question.
    What's wrong with the tubes/speaker that's in there that you don't like ?
    What kind of guitar do you play ?
    Do you use effects ?

JJ

Comment

I would like it if the clean didn't break up so soon when I push the preamp volume. The reverb also seems to lack a steady progression-either black or white, and not much grey. Since it is a one channel amp, I have been using a tube screamer for my overdrive, a fuzz for more break-up, a wah, a volume, a phase 90, a chorus, a tremolo, and a tuner. I asked about the speaker because I wasn't sure if more wattage would help with the clean-breakup issue. I use this amp for acoustic instruments as well, such as a mandolin, acoustic guitar, and eventually a bouzouki. My main guitars are teles, with the occasional humbucker for good measure. Hope this helps.

Comment

Headroom

You're not gonna have much clean headroom or control with that amp.
        It probably already has an efficient ceramic speaker.
        You could get an even more efficient ceramic speaker.
        You can put a 12AY7 in V1 and a 5751 in V2 to clean up the preamp a little.
        You MAY even be able to put 12AY7's in the first 2 slots.
        I don't know if the reverb is tube driven but I doubt it.

JJ

Comment

Working...
        X