Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Bus

Hi,

I'm planning to build my first tube amp with Tag Strip boards. But I have a question about ground bus bar and ground loops. If I mount some tag stripes board, and one of the tag goes to chassis with a screw and I solder the bus bar and goes to another ground tag... this is a ground loop?
    Attached Files

I would need to see whole picture/grounding scheme and points.

Ground loops are created when there is more than one path between grounded nodes, thus providing undesirable loops for currents in the grounding system. .
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-15-2020, 03:26 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Davebassman View Post
      Hi,

I'm planning to build my first tube amp with Tag Strip boards. But I have a question about ground bus bar and ground loops. If I mount some tag stripes board, and one of the tag goes to chassis with a screw and I solder the bus bar there and goes to another ground tag and again solder it there and so on ... this is a ground loop? (red text added for clarification)
      Yes, definitely.
      For the thicker wire bus bar to work as such, it must be floating from chassis an d only touch chassis ground at one point: main power supply ground.

That said, itīs not hard to do.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        Yes, definitely.
        For the thicker wire bus bar to work as such, it must be floating from chassis an d only touch chassis ground at one point: main power supply ground.

That said, itīs not hard to do.

Yes. That was I always thinking. But I have a tube book that the author uses this way.
        Attached Files

Comment

Any redundant chassis connection produces a ground loop. Large area loops are worse than small ones. Small area loops may go unnnoticed.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-15-2020, 07:29 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Davebassman View Post

Yes. That was I always thinking. But I have a tube book that the author uses this way.
            What book is that from?
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

What book is that from?
              nosaj
              Vacuum Tube Amplifier Basics by EJ Jurich

Comment

The book implies that a copper (ground bus) provides a lower resistance path than the chassis. This is not generally true. While copper has around 60% better conductivity than aluminum and about 600% better conductivity than steel, the much larger cross section of the chassis typically more than compensates for that.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

What do you think about this layout and the ground bus? Some advice?

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6...1-SE-Tube-Amp/

Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X