How do you organize your tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you organize your tubes?

I really need to get organized (famous last words). How do you guys organize your tubes both boxed and unboxed? Thanks.

Compared to others, I guess I don't have that many tubes on hand.

I bought a four drawer organizer from Office Depot. The big tubes on bottom, smaller tubes on top. I save the boxes form checks and other small items to hold the stash of smaller tubes (by tube type).

This storage approach works for me as I can find what I need quickly. And I told myself, if there is ever a need to buy more tubes, DON'T. I am not a repair shop!! So it is the JIT approach, buy as I need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3406.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	934623
    Attached Files
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Tubes are located in boxs (each tube model has its own box), with name which tube is in box.
      Doesn't need much boxs (less than 10 pieces)
      It's All Over Now

Comment

When I had my shop I didn't stock that many tubes. It is too easy to tie up $1000 in tubes. I always had a few 12AX7, and a 12AT7, a quad of 6L6. Usually a quad of EL84. EL34 I had off and on. They all fit in a cardboard box sitting on top of a file stack.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yep, that's my method, too. Nothing fancy. I just have a box of tubes on a shelf.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I've let CenterStaging inventory the tubes, per my instructions on what to buy/carry on hand, funds on hand being the variable factor. Considering at least 50% of the inventory we have in our rental gear, one would think there's be at least a couple grand invested in tubes on hand. But, considering what matched pairs, quads and sextets cost, we keep that down to a bare minimum, relying on UPS or USPS to send me what I need if we don't have it on hand. There's usually 8 to 12 12AX7/ECC83's, 4-6 12AU7's and same on 12AT7's on hand. A few 5AR4's, same with 5U4GB's. Mesa supplies us with their own tubes, so those are inventoried separately. At my other shop, I inventory all of the 'pulls' in 5881's, 6L6GC's, EL34's, 6550's and KT-88's from a couple of my steady clients, often only needing just one tube, When I pull a full quad or sextet, I'll toss the bad tubes, and the ones that worked, add to that stash.

I've not allocated the funds to buy shelving boxes for the tubes, so as much as I hate being so disorganized that way, I get by....sometimes grumbling about it when needing just one more tube to complete a working set...or having to buy a fresh set.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

The reason why I am asking is that I have a lot of tubes. Some are audio but many are old radio or black/white tv tubes. I restore vintage test gear so sometimes those tubes come in handy. I just repaired and old Tektronix 503 oscilloscope and needed 3 odd ball tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                ............ I inventory all of the 'pulls' in 5881's, 6L6GC's, EL34's, 6550's and KT-88's from a couple of my steady clients, often only needing just one tube, When I pull a full quad or sextet, I'll toss the bad tubes, and the ones that worked, add to that stash......
                I do that, too. I get some customers who can't fork for a full set of tubes and just want an amp to work. When they bring in an amp with a single bad tube, I'll just grab a few used tubes and find one that closely matches the ones that are still in the amp and working. It's good to have options.

Comment

I use the well known NOW method. No Organization Whatsoever.

Well, not quite. I have an old dresser in the workshop. 1 1/2 drawers crammed with new tubes. Almost certainly over $1000 worth. This is the go-to collection for most repairs. Junk room has shelves with pulls piled in old wine & whisky boxes, labeled as to type. One box full of GE 6L6's, another RCA, another all the rest US made, another with a jumble of Russian & Chinese made. Similar for EL34 KT88 and 6550. Another box full of 6V6, and yet another with rectifier pulls. Yet another with odds & ends like 7027, EL37 etc. Another "organizer" rack has boxes full of all kinds of random tubes pretty much by NOW method. And more boxes in the attic. Geeze I better off load a bunch of these, or get busy with target practice. Despite the lack of any obvious organization, I can find what I need to. Most of the time...
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I worked in sales at a pro audio store years ago. One of our install guys had a van stacked with "stuff" floor to ceiling- end to end. No organization whatsoever. BUT, if you asked him where something was he could tell you exactly where to look. "Open the side door. You'll see a box of wire, Next to that is a short step ladder to the left. Behind that is a toolbox full of crimp connectors. What you're looking for is in the second box under that toolbox." To the average person, it looked like a random mess (and it was). But, he could tell you EXACTLY where every single thing was in that van.

Comment

... like a random mess ...
                      Is not random mess, it is creative mess.
                      I usually say it has everything, but can't be found. Click image for larger version

Name:	mali172.gif
Views:	388
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	934665
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                        Despite the lack of any obvious organization, I can find what I need to. Most of the time...
                        Most of my stuff is like that. I call it a well ordered chaos.

Comment

I've got >5000 audio and tv so i just use a excel file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	934678

Comment

Much like others I have "a box" of tubes. Because I don't have many the inventory is in my head. When I use up my supply of what I might need at any given time I start scouting in my mental periphery and soon acquire them and add them to the box. I have matched pairs and quads literally rubber banded together. Tubes like the Ruby el34's that tend to be microphonic when new are tested for microphony and if not suitable for combo cabinets I write "head only" on the box so I don't have to retest any of them at a later time when I need them. I buy my el84's in "lot"s. Usually NOS Russian and usually twelve to twenty at a time. I match them up for idle current in pairs and quads and then test them in amp to make sure they behave. Then rubber band them together and toss them in the box. I'm just about out of good vintage 12ax7 pulls. These are reserved for the first gain stage in builds since they typically have better gain/tone at acceptable microphony levels than most newer tubes. So when I get some money running uphill I'll be on the lookout for a small lot of good RCA's or Sylvania's or something like that on *bay that has a good read and a good price. Truth is most are out of my price range anymore so I may be relegated to only newer tubes in the future. Since I haven't been building in years now it may never come up. Other 12**7 tube type pulls that don't have boxes are unceremoniously grouped in zip top bags with the model written in sharpie on the bag (currently 4 at7's, two DW7's, some dozen au7's etc.). Storing them this way does mean that I have to clean off the pins sometimes before installing them. I have a brass wire toothbrush in the box for this.
                            Last edited by Chuck H; 06-15-2021, 01:42 PM.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                              I use the well known NOW method. No Organization Whatsoever.
                              Like that lovely wall plaque states, 'organization is for people who are too lazy to look for stuff'.

Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X