6SN7 load resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6SN7 load resistance

I have spent over an hour to find load resistance of 6SN7. No luck. Can't find it in the data sheets. In terms of other parametres I find it pretty similar to 12AU7 - which in 5F1M circuit by Rob Robinette where he uses 25k primary OT with approx 320V on the plates.

The reason I want to use 6SN7 vs 12AU7 for output is just simple - I have like 10pcs of those tubes and not a single 12AU7, I like to use parts that were going to trash. Also I will have a bit lower voltage there because I am using 200V PT so will have approx 250V on the plates. Also have few OTs here, so I'd need to choose the right one...

See pg.1 of attached, under class A amplifier, 250V
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      See pg.1 of attached, under class A amplifier, 250V
      The value from the datasheet is the tube's internal plate resistance, not a recommended load.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

A tube doesn't "have" a fixed load resistance.
        Optimum load depends on tube limits, circuit parameters, load type (resistive/inductive) and application requirements.

You can use this calculator to play with different values: https://www.vtadiy.com/loadline-calc...ne-calculator/
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

The value from the datasheet is the tube's internal plate resistance, not a recommended load.
          Ok, I wasn't 100% sure which he was looking for.
          pg.2 of the datasheet I posted shows 100K for 300V operation. The sheet Tom attached shows 50K for phase inverter application at 250V.

But I think we are talking about using the tube as a power amp, so should not the 'plate resistance' number be used to match with OT ?
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I re-did this reply because I found more relevant data to post and when I tried to edit my original post everything got scrambled beyond repair.

Attached is another version of the 6SN7 data which I was copying as g1 was posting.
            This data came from a 1946 Sylvania Tube manual.
            Note that the 6SN7 page says to refer to type 7N7, which is identical electrically, for detailed data. That's why the 7N7 pages are included
            HTH,
            Tom
            Click image for larger version

Name:	6SN7 Data.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	953141 Click image for larger version

Name:	7N7 Equiv 6SN7 Data_1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	953142 Click image for larger version

Name:	7N7 Equiv 6SN7 Data_2.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	953143 Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure 4 - Circuit 6SN7 & 7N7.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	953144 Click image for larger version

Name:	Self Bias Circuit Values.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	656.0 KB
ID:	953145 Click image for larger version

Name:	Symbol Table.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	953146

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

But I think we are talking about using the tube as a power amp, so should not the 'plate resistance' number be used to match with OT ?
              Calling the internal plate resistance rp, tube literature recommends an external load (OT primary impedance) Za = 2...4 rp for a triode power amp with transformer load.
              Not that rp varies with idle current.

I think a Za around 20k should be fine.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-21-2022, 09:18 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                I think a Za around 20k should be fine.
                Which ends up close enough to the Robinette example from post #1.

Comment

Thank you all! So it's like 12AU7 -> what wanted to hear :-)

Comment

Maybe it's a weird question... Is it possible to work with 2 pararell (or series) output transformers? to get 20K? I have two approx 10K... I know it's better to find higher impedance speaker, but I don't have one.

Comment

Easier to change the speaker impedance.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        Easier to change the speaker impedance.
                        Yes... but loosing a lot of power

Comment

Half power is 3 decibels.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by boroman View Post

Yes... but loosing a lot of power
                            How that?
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by boroman View Post
                              Maybe it's a weird question... Is it possible to work with 2 pararell (or series) output transformers? to get 20K? I have two approx 10K... I know it's better to find higher impedance speaker, but I don't have one.
                              OTs don't have an own fixed primary impedance.
                              Rather they have an impedance transfer ratio.

A 10k/8Ohm OT will provide a 20k primary impedance with a 16 Ohm load.

And yes, it is possible to combine 2 OTs, but there might be drawbacks.
                              The Marshall JTM45/!00 used 2 JTM45 OTs with paralled primaries.

Please specify desired primary impedance, load impedance and impedance ratios of your OTs.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X