Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will US Sanctions do to availability to Russian-mfgr'd Vacuum Tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will US Sanctions do to availability to Russian-mfgr'd Vacuum Tubes?

As we're all watching to see when Putin will push on into Ukraine to have his way with what had been historic land and origin of the Russian empire, I have to wonder what will happen to the availability to Russian manufactured vacuum tubes. A few brands that the Tube Store carries/have carried: Reflektor, SED SPb/J.S.C. Svetlana, Ulyanov, JSC Voskhod, and Novosibirsk. Add to that Sovtek, and no doubt many more.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Finally, a political themed discussion that is relevant!* I have no idea on the answer, though. I would think there would be some disruption, but I also would think many suppliers have sufficient inventory to carry them through for a while.

As a precaution we should all rebias to 45% dissipation.

* before anyone gets offended, I am being sarcastic, I do think this is an important political topic and worry about the many lives that could be lost or disrupted.
    Last edited by glebert; 02-22-2022, 04:27 AM.

Comment

I ordered a batch of 24 valves from Siberian Shop on the 4th Feb 21. PayPal returned my money and cancelled the order.
      A UK based order as well.
      Big Brother is watching ... I think.
      Last edited by Jon Snell; 02-22-2022, 06:30 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake ... again!
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Ouch!!!

I suspect *PayPal* fears Big Brother and are over reacting since so far no new sanctions have been signed.

Might before the Sun rises, of course.

But as mentioned above, stock should absorb the current demand and in some time everything should go back to "normal"

Commercially I mean, Money rules.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Ouch!!!

I suspect *PayPal* fears Big Brother and are over reacting since so far no new sanctions have been signed.

Might before the Sun rises, of course.

But as mentioned above, stock should absorb the current demand and in some time everything should go back to "normal"

Commercially I mean, Money rules.
          I re ordered through a ccard and no problem. Items have been dispatched within 15 minutes of ordering.
          Stange old World.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Money rules
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
              As we're all watching to see when Putin will push on into Ukraine to have his way with what had been historic land and origin of the Russian empire, I have to wonder what will happen to the availability to Russian manufactured vacuum tubes. A few brands that the Tube Store carries/have carried: Reflektor, SED SPb/J.S.C. Svetlana, Ulyanov, JSC Voskhod, and Novosibirsk. Add to that Sovtek, and no doubt many more.
              Most of the currently available Russian tubes that fit guitar/bass amps & hifi gear are "brands" owned and sold by New Sensor. Sovtek, ElectroHarmonix, Svetlana, Mullard, TungSol, Genelex "Gold Lion" and I'm sure a few others. AFAIK these are all made in the same factory/complex in Saratov. For those who are fans of those, there's a good chance supply will be interrupted. And anyone holding stocks of these will be charging as much as they can get for them. Supply & demand, as usual. Couple that with the shut-down of the Chinese supply from Shuguang, and we have a vacuum tube crisis. One can only hope that JJ continues to manufacture and ship what they can. ALSO, does anyone have any up to date info on the Shuguang fiasco?
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Not sure, but does MIke Mattews still own New Sensor? If so, that could be another issue,he's an American, does Russia boot him out and take control of New Sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
                  ... MIke Mattews ...does Russia boot him out and take control of New Sensor?
                  They tried that once and Mike M. successfully fended them off. I remember, they wanted the building, if not the tube factory itself, and were doing things such as shutting off the power & blocking street access.

Comment

That would suck.

I order from New Sensor a lot since the shipping only takes a day or two

Comment

Is anyone still in contact with Stan? His point of view from the other side was always interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                        Is anyone still in contact with Stan? His point of view from the other side was always interesting.
                        Stan seems to have bailed out permanently. I think the last time he posted was during the Gang-of-Four-Imbeciles' attempted takeover of MEF. When wuzzat? 2018? What a shame he's gone missing. Yes he provided quite a lot of insight in several sectors. I hope he's OK.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Any updates on this subject ? With the falling Russian Ruble will we get a price break ?

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Music Electronics - Tubes (Valves) forum ?

I'm wondering how the market is divided between Russia, China and any other players in the market place.
                          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                            Any updates on this subject ? With the falling Russian Ruble will we get a price break ?.
                            Why not?
                            That seems to be the trend, toothless "sanctions" becoming more and more of a joke every passing day:
                            https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/rus...2HQlmPm5d5aAgG

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:13 pm ET

Shell Buys Russian Oil at Bargain Price

By Joe Wallace and Anna Hirtenstein

Shell bought 100,000 metric tons of Russia’s flagship Urals crude on Friday, say people familiar with the transaction.
                            Peter Boer/Bloomberg News

Shell PLC has snapped up a cargo of Russian crude at a bargain price, ending a self-imposed embargo on Russian oil by the international energy industry.
                            That said, I BET any savings will be pocketed by resellers, not passed along.
                            Last edited by J M Fahey; 03-08-2022, 02:26 PM.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Having just ordered some tubes from Antique Electronic Supply / CE Distribution, there are now a number of tubes out of stock, so looks like that's beginning. I didn't notice prices going up yet, but that's been a week since ordering.
                              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                              X