Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a stash of old tubes, anything interesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a stash of old tubes, anything interesting?

I recently obtained a bunch of NOS tubes. Picked out the obvious goodies and set them aside.

A bunch of 7C5s, which I understand to be roughly equivalent to a 6V6 (managed to scavenge a few loctal bases for them too).

Any other sleepers in there?

Also got about a dozen or so 27s. Is there anything interesting I can do with those? My initial thought was to try and use them as an output stage for a funky guitar amp, but before I go there I wanted to see if there was a better use for them. Any thoughts?

In the future I invented time travel.

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
    Also got about a dozen or so 27s. Is there anything interesting I can do with those? My initial thought was to try and use them as an output stage for a funky guitar amp, but before I go there I wanted to see if there was a better use for them. Any thoughts?
    From my days gazing through hi fi websites - most notably Audio Asylum - 27's were mentioned as being sort of the "holy grail" of preamp tubes, notably for microphone pres. Same for Western Electric 417. I've managed to get a sample of each but never built anything with them.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

a gain of 10 on the 27s? Probably much better suited for a mic preamp!
      see here https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.h...3Danti%2Bcable

the Hifi guys suspect that a fancy CC heater was required to solve microphonic issues in this tube, I'd not try it in a combo!

Comment

80 is a 5Y3 with a different base. The 2A5 is a output tube. 7A5 is a output tube. The 83 is used in a lot of tube testers such as Hickok. The 6ab4 is a guitar preamp tube used by Premier. They are all useful. (says the guy with 10,000 tv tubes)

Comment

Thanks folks for the ideas.

I'm kinda nervous about building stuff to use tubes that are hard to find anymore, but I guess with things being what they are even a 6V6 is gonna be hard to find.

I have to do some thinking and learning to do. Thus far I've built stuff using existing designs, I need to buff up my engineering skills to take advantage of some of the more obscure tubes.
          In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

TV tubes won't be hard to find. I use them all the time because i sort of get tired using regular old schematic. Sometimes it's a 1 to 1 replacement with a few tweaks, other times it is build from scratch.

Comment

I've got about 500 TV & Radio tubes I'd give you if you wanted them, then you'd never have to buy another one.
              --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X