Psvane tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psvane tubes?

Anybody have any expericnce with Psvane tubes?

I have never heard of them until Antique Electronic Supply posted them on their website. https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...ters=2341a4285

They are Chinese tubes, but that's all I know. I haven't used them so can't comment on reliability or anything else.

Edit: Found this:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...is-psvane.html
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I just installed a set of 12AX7s in a 2204. They're quiet and work properly. That's about all I can ask for.

Comment

Well there's this..
          http://www.psvane.com/en/aboutus.html?

Comment

Antique/CE/amplifiedparts/tubes&more.com all the same outfit - and they have had some PSVane tubes in catalog for years now. Since tube crisis started, and with Shuguang apparently still not delivering product, the smaller Chinese manufacturer appears to have gained some market share. From photos posted in catalog it seems they copy what are considered the cheaper versions of standard power tubes 6L6 & 6V6 BUT it's any port in a storm currently. Maybe if we're lucky they will expand product choices. Good to have Greg_L's feedback, so you know at least one customer is pleased. Next order I plan to buy some & see how they work out.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

and this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgjPIkTDTzY

perhaps this is of more interest - https://premiumvacuumtubes.com/for-i...-feb-7th-2021/

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                After reading that second link, wow what a mess. Grant certainly has the right to not be dictated to by a tube manufacturer. However if PSVane tried this on CE/Antique I'm certain they would be told to go take a long walk off a short pier plus earn a big horselaugh. Perhaps since that encounter PSVane woke up & smelled the coffee? And now yet another Chinese manufacturer LinLai? I need a program to keep up with all the players. For any tubes used in guitar amps & most hi fi gear, LinLai appears to be irrelevant since they concentrate on directly heated triodes & other esoteric (read expensive) tube types.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

After reading that second link, wow what a mess. Grant certainly has the right to not be dictated to by a tube manufacturer. However if PSVane tried this on CE/Antique I'm certain they would be told to go take a long walk off a short pier plus earn a big horselaugh. Perhaps since that encounter PSVane woke up & smelled the coffee? And now yet another Chinese manufacturer LinLai? I need a program to keep up with all the players. For any tubes used in guitar amps & most hi fi gear, LinLai appears to be irrelevant since they concentrate on directly heated triodes & other esoteric (read expensive) tube types.
                  Gibson uses those same tactics with their retailers. No one seems to care. People still buy Gibsons and retailers still often beg to carry them.

Now obviously Gibson and PSVane are not in the same league, but those kinds of anti-competition demands from suppliers are not unheard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_L View Post

Gibson uses those same tactics with their retailers. No one seems to care. People still buy Gibsons and retailers still often beg to carry them.

Now obviously Gibson and PSVane are not in the same league, but those kinds of anti-competition demands from suppliers are not unheard of.
                    Good answer. But still leaves me wondering, did PSVane try to lay their boogie woogie on CE/Antique? or maybe Vane saves that for relatively smaller outfits that sell esoteric transmitter tubes to snob audiophools? CE/Antique appear to have not diminished their product line, save what's unobtainium due to current scarcity plus boycott of Russian products.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Good answer. But still leaves me wondering, did PSVane try to lay their boogie woogie on CE/Antique? or maybe Vane saves that for relatively smaller outfits that sell esoteric transmitter tubes to snob audiophools? CE/Antique appear to have not diminished their product line, save what's unobtainium due to current scarcity plus boycott of Russian products.
                      Yeah maybe the PSV guys have relaxed their stance since tubes are like golden eggs right now. I probably wouldn't have even considered the PSVs back when you could get any tubes, back in the good ol days of like.... January!

They know they'll probably sell a bunch of them these days. They're not gonna shoot themselves in the foot. I bought some, and I'll buy more if they keep working well.

Comment

Well I have used the Psvane preamp tubes (12AT, 12AX, 12AU) and fundamentally their quality control is lacking. Where as it is not that important that guitar preamp tubes have section 1 & 2 triode perfectly matched, I have tested over 20 of these tubes & found the for the majority of the tubes they are vastly mis-matched. e.g.
                        1) Triode 1 might read 1000mho and the 2nd triode could read 1500mho. One 12AT7 had such a bad mismatch that one section measured like a 12AT7 and the other read like a 12AU7. Mismatched gain would naturally follow.
                        2) Where as that might not be noticeable to the user they also have issues with filament hum bleed thru to the cathode in some instances.
                        3) They also have a preponderance of microphonics in even not so high gain applications.
                        4) Some have issues with noise such as crackling & shot type noise that did not subside with reasonable burn in time.

I would not purchase them again. I don't blame CE dist as they always have been very responsive to these issues and I'm sure were just trying to fill the need during the tube shortage, however their take was that they don't claim to 'balance' the preamp tubes. They were still very willing to allow returns on them. It was too long by the time I decided to return them...my bahd. I was just too busy (very glad for that). There may be other applications I would feel they will work ok in. Who knows.
                        Anyway, just one tech's take...glen

Comment

Working...
                        X