Boost effect suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost effect suggestions

I play a Fender standard telecaster through a Marshall JCM 900. My main overdrive pedal is a Visual Sound Route 66 (basically a Tubescreamer with a separate compressor switch). I usually play through the lead channel on the amp with the lead gain set at around 3.

I need an additional pedal for a volume boost on lead lines. I bought the Route 66 hoping the compressor switch would provide enough of a boost on its own but while it adds great sustain and a little more drive to the tone, the volume really doesn't come up much. I'm debating whether or not to go with a better compressor pedal, a secondary overdrive pedal, fuzz, or something else. Any suggestions?

The fundamental problem is that the two effects are hardwired in a fixed order of compressor-then-distortion. The distortion sets a ceiling on the final output level, so that you could set the compression for the hottest output it is capable of, kick the compressor in and out, and the final volume still would be dictated by the distortion side. If the compressor came AFTER the distortion, then the distortion's output could be boosted by the compressor.

Conceivably RG Keen could provide some guidance on where to tamper in order to reverse the order of the two effects, or whether attempting to tamper would cause more aggravation than it's worth.

Comment

Working...
    X